Question about Hegner lathes please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just received a sales/dvd pack from Hegner regarding the HDB200XL lathe and wondered what folks on the group thought about it?. A concern I
have is that they offer a 5yr warranty on all mechanical parts but only 1yr on motor and electronics, are these weak points with the lathe??. Our local club in York has a Hegner (not sure which model) and it does perform well for all the displays given by turners at the meetings. The only other minor niggle is its a 3/4 hp motor with £59 option for 1hp would that be adequate for general use (what ever that is!)
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
I've recently bought a S/H Hegner and its going strong despite having been well used by the previous owner. He did take care of it however.
As others I'm sure will advise, go for the 1HP upgrade, you'll appreciate the more powerful motor.
No obvious negatives with the lathe other than (a small niggle) the toolrest assembly doesn't get you close enough to the workpiece on occasions, unless you really fiddle about with the banjo position. You should also get the small toolrest as an extra, you'll need it for small items
So far I'm delighted with mine and would recommend the Hegner to anyone looking for a solid, reliable, well made lathe.
The accessories are expensive mind you, but I got them all included with mine :D :D Except the base that is :cry:
regards, beejay

HI

I got mine secondhand last year and am more than happy with it now. I have the 1hp and now the three pulley system and it copes with anything I can get on it.

I would recomend it to anyone, !year on motor and electrics is very good most places only offer a max of 6 months in my experience.

john

Hi beejay and John
Yes I was comparing the 1yr warranty with my recently bought Record bandsaw which gives 5yrs on all of it including the motor.
I am still learning to turn and realising pretty quick the limits of my little Draper 350watt lathe and the Hegner at our club is very quiet and seems very well made. Would my 16tpi supernova2 chuck fit?
Cheers
Steve

The standard supernova2 chuck will not fit a Hegner lathe you will need an exert which moves the chuck away from the headstock by about 30mm or buy a direct thread supernova with the M33 x 3.5 thread machined in to it.

Hi Russell
I have one of the supernova2 chucks which can use different threaded inserts for different lathes so may be a M33 x 3.5 insert might work if obtainable??.Its a nice chuck so a waste not to use it.
Steve

gasmansteve":igwjnzxi said:
Hi Russell
I have one of the supernova2 chucks which can use different threaded inserts for different lathes so may be a M33 x 3.5 insert might work if obtainable??.Its a nice chuck so a waste not to use it.
Steve

Steve, Unfortunately I think you will find that the standard 'insert' version of the supernova will not do, the insert thread size is such that there is not enough room to accommodate a 33mm insert.

It has to be one with the 33mm thread hard machined in it.

Paul.J had to purchase a new one for the same reasons.

I am only a beginner with limited time for woodturning at present, but bought the Hegner with the future in mind - hopefully more time.

I have the 1HP Hegner.

Very happy with it. Very quiet running.

Like others the only problem is getting the toolrest really close for small work. However, as I haven't yet worked out how to hold really small stuff in my Nova chuck it isn't a great problem yet!!

Steve.
I am a relatively new owner of an Hegner,so can't really comment on the electronics side of things,not that i could anyway :roll:
But have spoke to other owners of this lathe and there seems to be no problems with the electronics.
I had a little niggle when i first had mine but Hegner soon sorted it out :D
I did have to buy a new chuck for it as i was told by many that the insert wasn't a good idea for my old chuck as it stuck out too far and can cause vibration :shock:
I believe that the new Patriot to fit direct to the Hegner came out last November,if you want to go down that route.

Paul.J.

Back