Record Power DVR-XP vs Hegner HDB200XL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
I got into turning a couple of years ago when I bought a second hand Record Power, DML-36. It only has 3 speeds and I am now seeking something with greater capabilities. However, it has served me well and was certainly worth the money as an introduction to turning.

I’m therefore considering upgrading and currently looking at either a Record Power DML-XP Nova or a Hegner HDB200XL. I want a slow speed for chasing threads (hoping to do some threaded lids on boxes) but also want something that can cope with larger items than my current lathe.

The positives in my mind for the DVR-XP:

1. My current Record Power has served me well and I also have a Record Power bandsaw which again is working well.

2. The motor size on the DVR-XP is 2HP vs 0.75HP (or 1HP if special offer is extended) on the Hegner.

3. Record Power are displaying at a show which is only 2 hours from me fairly soon and there’s a show special deal of another £100 off the winter package which includes the stand, outrigger and the supernova chuck (Total £1599.99). Hence I could simply go and pick it up. The Hegner is more expensive when you add in the stand, chuck and bowl turning attachment and then add postage to Northern Ireland! Also the web site is still showing the "special price until the end of August deal" which may therefore no longer be available, increasing the costs further.

However:
1. Some people here have expressed concern over the build quality of the new DVR-XP’s.

2. There are a lot of positive comments on here about the Hegner!

The other thing to note is that I currently do my woodturning in the roofspace above my garage (I can stand up straight in the middle!) and the lathe has to go up a fold away ladder....

Any comments on the above "observations"?

Are there other lathes I should look at in this price range?

Paul - noooooo - don't do it!

Seriously, I think you can do much better for the cash. I am a Vicmarc owner and would recommend the 175 SH - much more lathe for the money but you may need a block to get it up to the roof space.

I am not a big fan of the Hegner - the tailstock is a pita if you want to do hollow form work etc as to remove if from the bed is a spanner job, the tool rest does not allow easy access for small dia work and the steel construction required a very solid bench to make the lathe viable for anything not perfectly balanced.

Other options include the larger Jet units or the Maxi lathes or [possible keep your existing unit for spindle work and get a overhauled graduate for bowl / faceplate / hollow form work and use the change for an additional chuck + some tools + spare change.

Just my opinion, I am sure others will be along with an alternative view!

BRgds
S

Hi Paul
I second Simon`s comments on the Vicmarc, built like a bus and very well made but be prepared for a wait I had to wait about 6 months for mine. Just my opinion :wink:
Steve

You might want to look at the WivaMac's also - very good machines like the 175 I think - and might be easier to lug the individual pieces up your ladder one by one, rather than trying to winch up a whole lathe like the Vicmarc - certainly this was how I got my DB6000 down my basement stairs and around a narrow corner ...

Hello all, same for me, no wait for my Wivamac, came on a pallet in pieces, assembled it in the workshop myself, would probably take a forklift to move it now. Never used a vicmarc but I know people who are happy with them.

GT

Thanks for the responses above - looks like a rethink is required....

However, it's better to discover that at this stage!

Thanks again,
Paul.

Latest posts

Back