Quangsheng vs Wood River (Jointer and Jack Plane):

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe how much this blew up. Thanks you all for more information than I could possibly absorb, haha. Specific thanks should go to the 2% of respondents who tried to tell me why I should pick the Quangsheng over Wood River.

>>2% of respondents who tried to tell me why I should pick the Quangsheng over Wood River. <<

that's a little high, don't you think? Any actual question answering was probably accidental.

Just to add further to the noise-to-signal ratio, there is another option in the QS/Woodriver Luban group of planes that you might want to consider:

Juuma

I think they are a German brand as Dieter Schmid (Fine Tools) offer them. They don't sell junk. Postal rates to the UK are reasonable and they are very reliable (I have ordered several times from them).

They appear to be made by QS/Luban. Main spec difference seems to be a Bronze lever cap to further enhance the whiff of Lie Nielson.

I'll be able to report on my worthless opinion on them soon as I have just ordered a used No. 7.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Well just to throw in my pennies worth, I have several QS planes from Workshop Heaven and several LN planes, in my opinion both are of comparable quality and very much different cost. As to buying from a disreputable country, I'd think twice about saying that, if I came from the USA, shall we think back to genicide of the indiginous people, slavery in its worst practices, bigotry and prejudice against black people into the 1960's and beyond, still having a sizeable neo-nazi grouping on the far right and looking at LGBT people as less than human for decades.
People in glass houses.......

While I theoretically agree with the criticism of USA, we seem to have conveniently forgotten the British role in slavery, genocide, repression and war around the world when we were building and maintaining an empire - not that I think we should be beating ourselves up about it either, or that other races/countries aren't just as eager to exploit similar 'opportunities'.

Why does the sun never set on the British empire? Because God doesn't trust the British!

Long live perfidious Albion! - and cheap planes from countries with dodgy human rights records now that we can't outsource to remote parts of the empire where they won't ask inconvenient questions.

Tara a bit,

SOTA

I think that if you criticize the USA over slavery, you simultaneously criticize the British empire for enabling/supporting and subsequently benefiting from it. Liverpool and Manchester, for example, are two cities which would have seen greatly less wealth flow through them if it weren't for all those cotton pickers - then there's the Tate Museums (as in Tate and Lyle sugar) etc etc.! There's an argument that says we're all as bad as each other - for example, the Germans and the Japanese did horrendous things to large numbers of people in WW2 and we buy our German cars and Japanese tools/gadgets.

Personally, as a believer in (regulated) capitalism, I usually prefer to buy what I perceive as best value for my money - unless a specific country is currently doing something particularly loathesome - that said, I still buy Saudi-originated fuel for my car, I still buy stuff from US/China whose low envinmental standards are appalling etc. etc.!

We are all interconnected - for good or ill.

Back on topic....

One slightly irritating feature of the Wood River planes is that at the top front of the casting there is a small embossed WR logo - I find this rubs against the side of my LH pinkie as I hold the front knob. I've flooded this with epoxy to make it smooth again!

Cheers, W2S

Dangermouse 2nd":2iksn4op said:
Well just to throw in my pennies worth, I have several QS planes from Workshop Heaven and several LN planes, in my opinion both are of comparable quality and very much different cost. As to buying from a disreputable country, I'd think twice about saying that, if I came from the USA, shall we think back to genicide of the indiginous people, slavery in its worst practices, bigotry and prejudice against black people into the 1960's and beyond, still having a sizeable neo-nazi grouping on the far right and looking at LGBT people as less than human for decades.

I guess we didn't have India or China to slap around, so we had to take our frustrations out on our own people.

You might want to think a little more if you're going to draw us up as having a history as bad or worse than China, though... at least as far as human rights go.

If you're going to bring up antisemitism here, you'd better look closer to home. It's half as prevalent here as it is in the uk and Europe, and we like to keep it confined to fringe groups, whereas it seems to be perfectly fine to be more mainstream there.

Woody2Shoes":2hu271s8 said:
We are all interconnected - for good...

Well said. The USA has never been perfect. Anyone willing to look at their own country will find that neither has theirs been.

China still has its lumps and bumps, but those will go away in time. Their wages have risen 3 1/2 times in ten years, so by the time they're fully civilized, the off brand planes will have to come from somewhere else.

D_W":3tovlr3a said:
Woody2Shoes":3tovlr3a said:
We are all interconnected - for good...

Well said. The USA has never been perfect. Anyone willing to look at their own country will find that neither has theirs been.

Looking at a warts'n'all history of your own country/ethnic group is a necessary though often painful thing to do - 'but, I thought we were the good guys!' and all that - e.g. my Grandma genuinely thought that India invited us to rule them because they couldn't do it for themselves, until I described the Mughal empire to her.
I've worked with people from all over the world and although culturally people might express themselves differently, essentially, we are all equal, usually equally bad unfortunately, but with occasional flashes of wonderfulness.

Tara a bit,

SOTA

Ewww well stirred it there a bit didnt I.... If my post was read as meant, I wasn't compareing the USA to any other country, I was merely saying the USA isn't a paragon of virtue many would have us believe, " the american Dream " rollocks and all that etc.

Dangermouse 2nd":3az1auaz said:
Ewww well stirred it there a bit didnt I.... If my post was read as meant, I wasn't compareing the USA to any other country, I was merely saying the USA isn't a paragon of virtue many would have us believe, " the american Dream " rollocks and all that etc.
I don't think that makes it any better.

Probably best to stay on topic rather than delve into armchair politics.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Dangermouse 2nd":rz0qvyzn said:
... As to buying from a disreputable country, I'd think twice about saying that, if I came from the USA, shall we think back to genicide of the indiginous people, slavery in its worst practices, bigotry and prejudice against black people into the 1960's and beyond, still having a sizeable neo-nazi grouping on the far right and looking at LGBT people as less than human for decades.
Hmm. I thought I was the one who raised the disreputable country issue. Somehow I'm in the wrong glasshouse (hammer) (unless they've recently moved New Zealand to your side of the equator, and across a bit :wink: ).

Cheers, Vann.

In the States, individuals need to listen less to politicians and media, and see what goes on around them.the talking heads tend to gin up discourse, while most just want to get on.

I own a manufacturing plant and export 65% of my goods (mostly parts for new cars), which are in turn assembled and many times come back into the states. Machinery is bought from all over the globe, and in the industrial market, suppliers are equal to the level you buy from. Workers? I know of no manufacturer that sees race, creed or color! We see parts produced and sales, mainly because we need that to stay in business.

Now, to the thread topic: out of curiousity, earlier this year, I bought a Woodriver model of the Stanley 18 block plane. I have any original to compare it against, and the Woodriver is excellent for anyone considering that sort of need.

I understand Quangsheng planes are completely devoid of any maker's name or branding, and they are completely anonymous, why is that?

If I was choosing, I would go for Woodriver, at least their planes has "Woodriver" on them. And also I quite like the knuckle joint design and no one else offers it.

JohnPW":2f5k8a76 said:
I understand Quangsheng planes are completely devoid of any maker's name or branding, and they are completely anonymous...
Early Stanley planes were fairly anonymous. The only Stanley branding was the small print on the iron, lateral lever, and/or adjuster wheel. It wasn't until 1925 that the name "Stanley" was cast anywhere on the plane (on the lever cap).

Cheers, Vann.

JohnPW":2fp92zag said:
I understand Quangsheng planes are completely devoid of any maker's name or branding, and they are completely anonymous, why is that?

If I was choosing, I would go for Woodriver, at least their planes has "Woodriver" on them. And also I quite like the knuckle joint design and no one else offers it.

The QS planes are pretty much devoid of branding - I assume this is to keep down manufacturing cost. I note that the branding on LN planes is pretty minimal too. I really don't see why brand marking makes any difference to the usefulness of the tool (in fact, as I mentioned previously, the WR logo on the main casting is a pain in the... finger!).

What do you mean by "knuckle joint design"?

Cheers, W2S

Some of their stuff has the 'Luban' brand mark.

If you look at their China site that's their brand.

Bodgers":swbp8l84 said:
Some of their stuff has the 'Luban' brand mark.

If you look at their China site that's their brand.

http://www.qstools.com/about.asp

I think Luban is their "own brand" - I believe you can buy Luban branded stuff in Germany and Australia, but not here in the UK as far as I know (Workshop Heaven and Rutlands would perhaps object). Looking at the pictures of nearly all the tools on their website, there is no branding e.g. http://www.qstools.com/Productsd.asp?ID=381

Back