Quangsheng Router Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spot on!
Smart move by the Chinese - I think they will sell rather well.

And an interesting example of how manufacturers can get design wrong if they work by imitation, without input from people who know how to use a tool.

+1 for ugly
But for me the main design fault where's the fine adjustment ,not very easy to take a thin skim off when fine tuning tenons etc

Edit it's not a copy of a 71 but the small 722/ 271 routers so no fine adjuster on those so not really like for like comparison

davem62":302sxbo6 said:
+1 for ugly
But for me the main design fault where's the fine adjustment ,not very easy to take a thin skim off when fine tuning tenons etc

Edit it's not a copy of a 71 but the small 722/ 271 routers so no fine adjuster on those so not really like for like comparison

It's a closer copy of this;

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/small-router-plane

(I think the LV design is better thought out
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.a ... at=1,41182

and cheaper than LN
)

BugBear

No copy at all, just a small router.

But what (TF) would be the advantage of a complete open mouth or call it two parts sole?

That is bad design in my books. They'd better copy one or the other.

The 3 bevel blade seems to be a nioce feature.

Cheers
Pedder

I think it looks like it's in between the larger 71 router and the smaller 721 router in size. It has the 12mm cutter of the 71 but with a smaller body. The 721 is a lot smaller in body and it has a 6mm cutter.

At £60, I think it's way overpriced for what is actually a simple tool. If you can make the L shaped cutter, there's almost nothing to the rest of the tool, especially if there's no depth screw adjustment for the cutter.

JohnPW":2zlcv7zu said:
I think it looks like it's in between the larger 71 router and the smaller 721 router in size. It has the 12mm cutter of the 71 but with a smaller body. The 721 is a lot smaller in body and it has a 6mm cutter.

At £60, I think it's way overpriced for what is actually a simple tool. If you can make the L shaped cutter, there's almost nothing to the rest of the tool, especially if there's no depth screw adjustment for the cutter.

"271" (by Stanley) I think you mean. unless you mean "722" (by Record, much rarer)

BugBear

One advantage of the old Stanley and Record 71/071 size routers is that screwholes were provided to allow mounting of a false wooden sole. Not really a necessity, but very useful sometimes. They also had provision to mount fences or guides to the sole. Must admit I've never had need of those.

Thus, I still think the larger design has it's worth, and won't be completely supplanted by this new one.

That said, if the usual WH attention to quality and design are present (and there's no reason to think they won't be), then the new addition should be a sound investment for those making it.

Where's the depth stop?

It'd be tricky doing something like cutting both mortices for a pair of cabinet hinges to exactly the same depth without a reliable depth stop.

Axminster Rider do a small router plane for about £10 less but nowhere as nice looking as the Quangsheng. Judging by the Rider looks I don't think the quality would be anything near. That said I have several of the Rider planes they seem very good quality, feel and look nice, lot of good things said about them. Though not used them yet........ as I still haven't..... made my bench.

I have a 271 and I think it has advantages over the new arrivals.The Lie-Nielsens share the small footprint and the ability to work in tight spaces without the protruding handles getting in the way.The lack of a fine adjustment screw is of no great consequence;I just move the cutter a little beyond the edge of the cut it has just completed and slacken the locking screw so that it drops a fraction.Tighten the screw and repeat until the desired depth is achieved.The process depends on the relief angle formed by the bottom surface of the cutter and on the newcomers there doesn't seem to be much clearance.All in all though its good to have a bit more choice in the marketplace.

custard":3ty7q5ob said:
Where's the depth stop?
Veritas depth stop is just a ring with a screw. much like the depth stops for drill bits. Maybe you can find a cheap depth stop for drilbits, that fit the blade?

Cheers
Pedder

Given that it is around half the price of the Veritas which is what I replaced my stolen old Record 722 (inherited) with, it seems OK value for those on a budget. The Record design is a bit different, with an offset thumb screw. Very basic but it worked well. Oddly enough I still have the box. I think it was of WWII vintage and must have belonged to my grandfather originally I suspect. Oh well.

Back