Quangsheng No. 5 Bedrock Pattern Jack Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dovetaildave":m7qsgo2f said:
I expect to have saved enough on my Secondary (D&T) teachers wage to get a No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane in two weeks time ........... :lol: Whoooo!

Welcome to the forum Dave, It's good to know that another D+T teacher has joined, there's a few of us on here.

How are your projects coming along? I'm in the middle of the end of term rush, I keep saying that it won't be like this next year, but it always is... I've set the (first) deadline as 3.30 monday aftrernoon, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers
Aled

I think John's point was that LN copied AND improved, which is progress, whereas QS copied and just manafactured cheaply, which is just "undercutting".

However I think of it like this. I do relatively little planing, however would like a set of nice planes, as I like all my tools to be nice quality. I do quite a bit of sawing however. So getting QS allowed me to have enough left over to buy a nice british sheffield Pax saw, and also a veritas saw.

The alternative would be cheap carp all around, probably from far east anyway, or only half the tools I need.

In this case quality eastern copies let me also invest in quality british tools from those manufacturers we'd all like to support.

I think the QS does fill a massive gap from new stanley to clifton/veritas/LN, however I totally see how john made a distinction between QS and LN in terms of what they've brought to the well flattened table...

I bought a QS no. 6 a while ago (a Workshop Heaven version) and very good it is too. At the time, I thought it would be a rather 'occasional' tool.

Had I realised just how useful I was going to find it (used nearly every day), I'd have stumped up the extra cash for a Clifton.

wcndave":1i4n4cg4 said:
I think John's point was that LN copied AND improved, which is progress, whereas QS copied and just manafactured cheaply, which is just "undercutting"...........
Surely QS and LN/LV all did the same thing - copy and "engineered up" some very old designs. Some would say "over engineered".
What's wrong with undercutting? Do you avoid supermarkets and always buy the most expensive?
Not sure abt LN/LV improving things. Distinctly retrograde in some respects such as norris adjusters; look nice, cheaper to make, don't work. More an exercise in style and marketing IMHO.

Jacob":n07eo8ji said:
wcndave":n07eo8ji said:
I think John's point was that LN copied AND improved, which is progress, whereas QS copied and just manafactured cheaply, which is just "undercutting"...........
Surely QS and LN/LV all did the same thing - copy and "engineered up" some very old designs. Some would say "over engineered".
What's wrong with undercutting? Do you avoid supermarkets and always buy the most expensive?
Not sure abt LN/LV improving things. Distinctly retrograde in some respects such as norris adjusters; look nice, cheaper to make, don't work. More an exercise in style and marketing IMHO.

Well, in my opinion, in our society we have all come to expect too much too cheaply.

Aled Dafis":320d2we3 said:
Dovetaildave":320d2we3 said:
I expect to have saved enough on my Secondary (D&T) teachers wage to get a No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane in two weeks time ........... :lol: Whoooo!

Welcome to the forum Dave, It's good to know that another D+T teacher has joined, there's a few of us on here.

How are your projects coming along? I'm in the middle of the end of term rush, I keep saying that it won't be like this next year, but it always is... I've set the (first) deadline as 3.30 monday aftrernoon, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers
Aled

Hi Aled,
Totally new and don't wanna get into trouble by going off task on this thread, might get sent to the heads office :oops:

I'll pm you now.

Latest posts

Back