Quangsheng Low angle VS Standard Angle Block Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to order the cheaper Quangsheng standard angle block plane as I thought they are the same except the bed angle,
However was about to order and I saw that the adjusting mechanisms are actually totally different for them?

Have a look at the pics, the rear adjusting mechanism looks way different- what's the actual difference for them? Does the Low angle actually has more functions? (does the low angle has a lateral adjustment and the standard angle doesn't perhaps? )

product-image.php

product-image.php

Ignoring the differences between these specific models if you want just one block plane the low-angle type is the one to get as they're more versatile. Pop in a spare blade honed to a steeper angle and you get the same as a standard-angle block plane without having to pay for a whole other plane.

BTW aren't the two types the same price?

The mechanisms look the same. One is modelled after LN, and the other after Stanley. Both appear to simply push the blade back-and-forth. Neither appear to have a lateral adjustment (as do the Veritas with a Norris-type adjuster).

Note that a low angle bed (12 degrees) with a 25 degree bevel blade (=37 degrees cutting angle) will plane end grain more easily than a standard angle bed (20 degrees) and 25 degree bevel blade (=45 degrees cutting angle). However I would rather have the standard angle when chamfering edges, as it is less likely to cause tearout. There is a place for both settings. Decide which set up you believe is more useful. The LA plane can be set up for a higher cutting angle, but the standard angle plane cannot plane at a lower angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

try everything you intend to do with a block plane with a smoother once you get some experience.

I've probably had a dozen block planes (if not that, at least 8 or 10). I still have two....maybe one, not sure. It's extremely uncommon for me to use one.

Except for the smallest work, a bench plane is more practical on end grain, and not hard to master on normal edge breaking or chamfering. there are a lot of chamfering jobs where a paring chisel is more appropriate, and the skill from using a paring chisel will help you when you get to carving.

If I were going to use a block plane (which would only be for small work), I'd probably have a 9 1/2 record or something similar. Right now, I have at least one stanley 18, but I don't love that you have to hold it in a certain way or once in a while, you'll knock the cap loose by accident when you're getting leverage on it. (if I used a block plane more often, I'd know what I have, but I have a bad habit of turning through tools and the ones that aren't notable, it's hard for me to keep track of).

Back