Quality Mid Range Hand Planes ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikey R":2l6j1x62 said:
I think its a real shame that even budget manufacturers describe their cheap hand planes as "Quality" or "Pro" - its really misleading for us newbies :(

It's normally fairly simple; any name that has "professional" or "pro" in it...

... isn't :D

BugBear

It seems there's a few rather overprotective uncapitalist viewpoints out there!

Once patents have lapsed, as they have many years ago for the standard and bedrock designs, anyone is free to make and sell a similar item. And existing makers take this into account when deciding to enter the market. (They too have done a bit of copying) I don't think Tilgear's new planes have any of the patented modifiactions developed by today's top makers.

In the UK we are also free to copy patented designs for our own use - it is only sales for profit that is illegal. (I believe this is not legal in the USA). I could for eg. legally knock up my own Woodrat or Routerboss for my own use, but not sell it for profit.

No one seems to get upset when other tools are copied, look at the various Kity 419 clones out there. Whats the big deal with planes?

Im off to give Tilgear a call... :lol:

Green":1klx79t5 said:
No one seems to get upset when other tools are copied, look at the various Kity 419 clones out there. Whats the big deal with planes?

Im off to give Tilgear a call... :lol:

We look forward to a review!

BugBear

ivan":3arjuf34 said:
Once patents have lapsed, as they have many years ago for the standard and bedrock designs, anyone is free to make and sell a similar item.

I think the point was that at least one of the planes copied design tweaks specific to one manufacturer (not necessarily patented ones).

Well, although still legal, that is a bit immoral - I hadn't spotted that. Fortunaltely I shan't be tempted as some LV Cliftons and LN already on the shelf, and then there's the Rolls Royce back up service. (Hmmm. Can I still say that? Isn't it really a VW or a Beemer or whatever?)

Back