Quality Hole saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bourbon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, As the title says. I'm after a 2''/51mm hole saw that will stay a bit sharper than the one I have, only going through about 18mm softwood. Has the group got any Ideas?

How deep a hole?

You may get a cleaner result with a good quality Forstner bit (and you can keep that sharpened yourself fairly easily). I've started using the Axminster ones recently and I'm pleased with them. Hole saws _can_ be sharpened (I've done it!), but it is awkward. Get some diamond needle files (you only need cheap ones), and try - they will cut the hardened teeth holesaws usually have.

The big difference, of course is that a Forstner bit removes all the wood, so needs more torque to drive it. They really need to run in a drill press, too, if you need accuracy.

For holesaws, keep clearing the groove they cut by stopping and vacuuming out. That will help with overheating (which dulls them quickly).

Sorry - can't recommend a brand, but the cheap ones (holesaws) I have as a set from Toolstation do me pretty well. I do touch them up with a needle file though after use.

Thank Eric. I'm cutting though around 15-18mm softwood. It's not a hole I need but the bit in the middle, so a forstner bit won't do it I have some diamond flies so I will look at doing that

How many are you cutting?
Considering most hole saws are under a tenner brand new it cant be worth sharpening them, and in 18 mm softwood you should cut 100's before finding anything wrong.
Is your technique at fault?
Are you trying to punch through?
Is the drill speed too high?

The saw should be going slow enough that you can "almost" see it turning.
you should use gentle steady pressure to allow the teeth to do the work, and lift up often to allow the dust to clear.

I cut a 42 mm hole in 10 mm mild steel using an old hole saw, and its still able to cut hardwoods afterwards.

I’ve always used Starrett holesaws which seem to last forever. Apparently the Milwaukee holesaws are very good also but I’ve never tried them.

I ended up buying the Bosch kit linked below when I was doing the kitchen a couple of years ago (along with an extra large one for fitting some downlighting in the ceiling) . I’ve found them to be pretty good and really like the way the saws fit into the bit holder, much nicer to use than some of the cheaper ones I’ve had in the past. If you are just buying one bit thought they may be a bit more expensive than they first seem as the individual hole saws don’t come with the quick change adaptor and pilot drill bit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-progressor-holesaw-set-9-pieces/7904h

Tip: Drill a smaller hole on the waste side so that its edge and the edge of the holesaw cut intersect. This provides a route for the dust to escape.

Back