[Q] Painting mdf with silicone sealant on it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had some work done rejuvenating my laundry area. We've had mdf boards put on the walls (routed to look like T&G). Unfortunately, for a few gap areas, the workmen appear to have used a silicone-based sealant that has gotten onto the mdf. Now I can't paint those areas with the mdf sealant (water based).

Any advice on how one might be able to refresh those areas to remove the silicone and allow them to be painted properly?

Thanks in advance.

If you can`t sand the offending area until the sealer will take, my only other thought is to try a stain blocker. Though trying to remove any traces of silicone by sanding off would be my preferred option.

Regards.

dj.

If you are sure its silicone (?) then its got to come off. Now if its a particularly small bead of sealant then you maybe able to remove the bulk of it with Stanley blades/silicone removal tool and then put a larger bead of paintable sealant (polyurethane like sikaflex or everbuild poly 40 etc) over the top of it and then paint.

HTH

If it won't come off, then any oil based paint (undercoat/primer/eggshell/etc but try to avoid gloss) applied over just the silicone will isolate it. The waterbased paint over the top will take longer to dry though.

Thanks all. I finally got time to readdress this issue. Sure enough, good old sandpaper did the trick. Now more painting ahead :-(

Back