Pyrography book recommendation anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

I've just acquired a Peter Child pyrography machine and would like to buy a book (or maybe two) on the subject.

If anybody could recommend anything they've read on the subject which is suitable for a complete beginner then I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Neil.

hi neil
i also have the peter child pyrography pen, used it many times in the past, couple of really good books are
Norma Gregory Pyrography designs ISBN 1-86108-116-2
Norma Gregory Designs for pyrography and other crafts 1-86108-320-3
Sue walters Pyroghraphy Workbook 1-56523-258-5
Stephen Poole The complete pyrographer 0-946819-76-9

have fun..

Hi Steve,

Just made a cuppa after posting and by the time I got back to the laptop your reply was there!

I've been erring towards the Stephen Poole so far so I'll definitely put that on my 'possibles' list.

Thanks,

Neil.

There are a few pyrography books in the Craft Supplies catalogue and lots of other woodie craft books too. Bob Neil is one of the best known pyrographers and his Step by Step book is very good. It is good to practice drawing and sketching on a regular basis and maybe join an online art community. Like all other arts and crafts, it is just a matter of practice.

Neil, I have a few Pyrography books. I find the best 2 i have are "Great Book of Woodburning" by Lora S. Irish. And The Complete Pyrography by Stephen Poole.
Good luck Pyrography is a great pastime. :D

Hi Dermot,

Your recommendation of Stephen Poole and a post on another forum I subscribe recommending the same book have confirmed what I thought.

Now off to Amazon to make a purchase.

Cheers,

Neil.

I've had the Peter Child machine for years, and like Steve I also have the Norma Gregory designs book, and stephen pooles and can recommend all three.
This a WIP on a 14" flat platter that I'm doing between other things. :roll:

The design for this evolved from a knot in the wood below the Giraffe's mouth which resembled widening water ripples. I just needed something to make those ripples. :wink:

John. B

Absolutely stunning John. I'd like a Pyro Machine but I'd never be able to do this sort of work. It'd be burned shapes and textures for me.

John that is a great usage of natural features. I bought a Peter Child machine a while ago but my wife has turned out to be the one with the skill :D :D . I'm the one that makes the base object - platters, bowls or prepared slabs (preferably natural edged).

Mike C

I did these Pyro last year just thought you might like to see them. The large one in Sycamore had some natural shading. I tried to draw a picture that might look like the shadow of a large tree??? And in the one with the deer, it looks like the sky is heavy with rain moving in. Not sure if i pulled it off.

The windmill was taken from a book i have by Norma Gregory.

Picture039.jpg

Picture032.jpg

They are both excellent Dermot.
Coming from SW Scotland I would think you are an expert on heavy rain clouds :wink:
You could shade in a few clouds and have that knot peeping out of the clouds as a sun.

John. B

Back