Puzzled about an electric planer...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Question is, is this me?

I have a cheapo Workzone electric planer, model WWEP-800/17.
Bought some time ago, smuggled through the till first as Mrs.Cozzer was still loading fruit and veg at the other end of the conveyor belt.
(This is a good ruse, by the way, as long as you don't forget the unpacking procedure back at base. I did, and was sent to Coventry for an hour or so.)
Watched a video about how to set it up, altering the 3 bolts etc. holding the blades. As with most things, didn't look too much to it - the famous "10 minute job". Ha!
The bloke in the video first turned the dial on the side, in order to move the cutting blades into view before adjusting.
Mine doesn't have a dial on the side.
As far as I can see, the only way to set up - or eventually replace - the blades is to revolve the blade drum with your fingers until each blade comes into view. Well....OK....if you're careful, it can be done. It's quite stiff to move, and of course you have to be a bit wary when each of the blade holders appear, as you tend to rest your digits there.
But.....
When you let go in order to grab the ol' spanner, the drum spins back to whence it came!
Is there something I don't know?

I don't have one of these but wonder in the absence of a dial/knob is there a belt cover that comes off easily so you can turn the belt/cutters into position?

I don't have one of these but wonder in the absence of a dial/knob is there a belt cover that comes off easily so you can turn the belt/cutters into position?

Nope, no belt cover.
Just had the presence to RTFM, and it gives instructions on changing the blades, but simply says "turn the blade drum until you can access the cutting blade", before loosening the 3 fixing nuts.
But if I've got to sight down the sole after any adjustment, the bloody things are going to disappear from view! Clogs advice above makes sense, except a wedge is going to partially block the view as well.

Edit : My mistake! Just spotted instructions as to how to change the belt, which means that there must be access!
Yup...3 screws on the side. Hunt for long/thin enough screwdriver for the next half hour!

Thanks for your advice, boys.

Back