Putty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to the replacement of a number of Crittal metal framed windows, I now own a number of lengths of dry, straight and seasoned wood that formed the timber frames into which the metal frames were set. Now the metal frames were sealed in place with what seems and smells like putty but this is well and truly stuck to the timber in places. What I'd like to know is how hard is dried putty on the carbide teeth of a saw blade - will it blunt it quickly or not. If putting the timber through the table saw is not a good idea then are there any suggestions as to how to remove putty (easily).

So far I've spent a pleasnt few hours removing an assortment of nails and am looking forward with great relish to scaping cement/mortar from the undersides of the old window boards followed by a quick once over with the belt sander.

I know it would be easier to buy new timber when I need it, but I am keen to recycle whenever possible.

Cheers

MisterFish

not being pushy, but this is an ideal item to justify buying
a fein multimaster, which has a number of blades which
can remove putty etc. the bimetal one is the best.

nice bit of kit as roger sinden can also confirm. lots of other uses.

paul :wink:

hi never found putty a problem on blades , the cement is the one to watch. a good scrapp and wire brush will sort it

Thanks everybody. I'm going to have to be diligent as far as getting the cement off - I remember Norm commenting once that he knackered a set of planer blades because the recycled wood he was using had been laid on a gritty floor and the best way to sort it was to use the belt sander. I'll obviously be careful to remove any nails or metalwork. What I was planning to do was use the blade that originally came with my TS - it has seen better days and several of the teeth need replacing as they are badly chipped.

I like the idea of the Fein and am starting the task of convinving SWMBO that it is essential - luckily she expressed an interest in trying woodcarving a while ago so that may add strings to my bow!

Cheers

MisterFish

Use a blowlamp with a small jet heat till it just starts to bubble and scrape the now soft putty away this is what glaziers do.

some good points raised here so far
another problem comes to mind thou
small shards of glass embedded in the putty , so be very careful if running it over a saw table , always wear these . safety glasses :norm:

mel

Yes I'm always diligent about wearing safety glasses - in fact SWMBO has decorated the workshop wall as a permanent reminder as you can see in the photo. :norm:

normism%20001.jpg

Glass shards shouldn't be a problem as the putty in question was used to fix the metal frame to the wooden subframe and the glass was then fixed into the metal frames. Despite that I will take great care and wear my full face mask.

Thanks

MisterFish

Latest posts

Back