Push me pull you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Well, for my next project, I had to cut and smooth a convex curve in some 18mm Ash (about 1/2m long)

The convex base spoke shave worked great when pulling but I couldn't get it to cut when pushing. Had to swap the piece aorund in the vice.

Anyone else find this?

Any ideas for the next time?

Tony
The curved face shave is a tough one to use-if it work better when pulling it, go with that my friend! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Tony":2rxmwvsk said:
Anyone else find this?

Yes, I find I only get a good cut pushing, and sometime only when I take a pull cut. Rarely do I find both work. It seems (for me) to depend on the wood, the curve and the grain orientation and angle.

Once I find what works, I stick to it.

Adam

dedee":127k53ip said:
Tony":127k53ip said:
smooth a convex curve

Sounds like a comp entry :wink:

Watcha making?

Andy

Nah! I won a comp on here a long time back and so don't enter any more - wouldn't be fair to the rest of you :lol: 8) :? :wink:

Making a chest of drawers sort of thing for shoe storage with two large whicker baskets as drawers for shoes and 3 'normal' drawers at the side for gloves etc..

Loosely speaking, the inspiration came from this project

Its the way it goes tony my shave will cut pushing or pulling, I'm not sure if it depends on the wood. It is annoying to have to keep cahnging the wood around

Bean

Hi Tony, its the one I had lots of problems with until one day it all seem to fall in place ( I also had to get it done, Trainee [-o< at the time ).
Lets hope the day comes to the rest that have trouble with this tool :wink:

Have you tries a compass plane?

Now Alf will think I'm a compass plane monomanic as I've just posted on the same subject in her blog. :shock: Its not true though - just that I got myself one yesterday (Stanely 113) and have spenty the morning fettling it, and putting curves on the head- and foot- crown boards of the bed I'm currently making. It did a really good job on Oak in spite of the blade made out of kit-kat wrapper. Trouble is I don't think a much thicker blade will fit through the mouth. :(

I also got a LV BUJ at the same time (never go to Needham Market - Classic Tools and the Tools Shop are opposite each other). Cor it ain't arf loverly :D . Might get to try the 38deg. blade a bit later :D :D

Isn't it all down to grain direction? If you are cutting easily upwards with the grain on one side of the curve (pulling), then reversing the direction for the other side (pushing upwards) will result in the shave going against the grain.

Nick W":ezb97j9f said:
I also got a LV BUJ at the same time (never go to Needham Market - Classic Tools and the Tools Shop are opposite each other).
You lucky blighter... :(

Tsk, meant to get back to that comment; oh well, here's as good as anywhere I s'pose. :D IIRC, Rob Lee has said Veritas will only make a compass plane in his worst nightmares, so I don't think we need hold our collective breath. :lol: But you're right, it would be interesting to see how they'd tackle it... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Back