purple heart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwuzere

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been asked to make a coffee table out of purple heart,
as i usually work with oak,beech and abw this is a little out of my comfort zone, does anyone know of a good supplier of purple heart hopefully in lincolnshire, thanks Mark

Hi,

Its to bland for me, its just purple featureless wood, have they seen a large expanse of it?

Pete

Racers":2qhdse0l said:
Hi,

Its to bland for me, its just purple featureless wood, have they seen a large expanse of it?

Pete
yep and agree far to overpowering for me but thats what the customer wants and as long as they pay the bill............

woodbloke":1crlzfoe said:
Purpleheart turns a dull brown over time though I believe - Rob

Would putting a UV resistant finish on it help at all with that (I am assuming here that it is the UV light that causes the colour change not any kind of internal aging).

it reacts beautifully to heat, I always thought that pyrography would be worth a try with Purpleheart, then maybe a uv blocking varnish might work to freeze the effect at the required point

woodbloke said:
Purpleheart turns a dull brown over time though I believe - Rob

Interesting - I've always been lead to believe that PH was one of the woods whose colour was enhance with time. Yew, and I think cedar, have wonderful reds and purples when first cut, but they these just disappear. I don't know if this is UV or drying out fully.

Certainly some PH offcuts I've got kicking around the workshop seem to have retained or improved their colour.

Rob

I have a table in my lounge that has a small diamond of purpleheart in it (it's the maker's mark) and it has dulled somewhat from when i first bought it.

I love the stuff myself and I'm dying to make something with it in, but I'd not fancy using vast expanses of it unless it was in some modernist type piece that needed a huge splash of colour.

dannykaye":33gigke7 said:
it reacts beautifully to heat, I always thought that pyrography would be worth a try with Purpleheart, then maybe a uv blocking varnish might work to freeze the effect at the required point

I have recently had a go at pyrography on purpleheart and have to say i didnt like it.

The fact im not a fan of purple heart is probably the main reasoning behind it.

Its too "in your face" for me

Back