Pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
A pump.

Pulled from a skip.

DSCN1324.JPG

Complete, I have the rods.

DSCN1325.JPG

Just goes to show that people don't value anything, the person who dumped that must be pretty thick and shortsighted because had they be in tune with the world around them then they would have realised that it is something people buy and would use as a garden ornament. Probably same type of person who buys a period property and then removes all the features and makes it open plan.

Had one on our rainwater harvester in France, the tag on the outlet to hang a bucket from always amused me, don't know why it just did.

I've just finished reading this, a great book.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/products/isbn/9781610350518?cm_sp=rec-_-vhr_1-_-plp&ref_=vhr_1
Amongst loads of other interesting information there's a description of how they used to make hand pumps like this from wood, before the advent of lead and then cast iron types. The first step was to bore a two inch hole down the centre of an entire 12 foot elm log. With a spoon bill auger bit, and obviously by hand, a two man job I think. An amazing feat when you think about it. And that was just the first step of the job.

I'd strongly recommend the book, a very good read. Makes you appreciate the craftsmanship and sheer hard work of the good old days.

The pump is rebuilt.

DSCN1641.JPG

New lower flap valve and fixings.

DSCN1642.JPG

The cup washer was saved and soaked in red rubber grease.

DSCN1644.JPG

New spout gasket, made from rubber sheet.

The internal bore is so badly pitted it will only be used as decoration.
It does pull a vacuum, but the water will by pass the internal valves.

DSCN1645.JPG

Only one fixing was saved.

DSCN1646.JPG

Good job but the Allen cap head bolts don't look in-keeping with the old pump.

Good job but the Allen cap head bolts don't look in-keeping with the old pump.
Two reasons for that.
4am and the shop were shut, insomnia stuck again.

The other.
RM have managed not to deliver an order of the correct bolts this week.
The claimed to have tried, cctv say no they didn't.
Now they have been lost.

New lower flap valve and fixings.

Hi Yellow Ardvark,

I have a similar pump to restore, recovered from the undergrowth at our our previous property.
What I don’t have is any detail how the flap valve is constructed - I was going to do some research when I get to it or just make something up.
All I have is this basket on the end of the rod…..
IMG_6882.jpeg

Can you supply more pictures or details of how the valve is made please?

Hi Yellow Ardvark,

I have a similar pump to restore, recovered from the undergrowth at our our previous property.
What I don’t have is any detail how the flap valve is constructed - I was going to do some research when I get to it or just make something up.
All I have is this basket on the end of the rod…..
View attachment 170175
Can you supply more pictures or details of how the valve is made please?
You are missing the internals.

DSCN1607.JPG

For to rear.

Ring is the cup washer retaining ring.

Round dish Lift valve for the lower flap valve.

Main cage, you have that.

Finger cage.

DSCN1642.JPG

This is assembled, By finger cage is upside down, I did this to allow any water to escape. This is not an unit to be used.

The cup washer here is rubber, I have made leather ones in the past.

DSCN1641.JPG

Lower valve.

The round disc is on the other side.

DSCN1575.JPG

In relation to this subject let me take you back a bit further in time and show you some other examples of the "bucket", which is what it is generally known as.
Somewhat different from the iron examples but doing the same job.
The pump rod could be attached in various ways hence why you have different shapes to the tops.
Tapered cone, forged straps, bolt through etc.
You might ask, "how would you retrieve such an item if you needed to?"
Well...
The the two tools adjacent to the buckets are for this purpose, incorporating hooks and screws.
Cheers, Andy
IMG_20231118_150635.jpg
IMG_20230618_142506.jpg

Last edited:
Back