Pulpit design help please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revwayne

Established Member
Reaction score
I am completing the design work for a new pulpit. One of the challenges to contend with is the parament that drapes from atop the slanted book rest down the front of the pulpit: because the parament is silk it tend to slide off the book ledge when the Bible and materials are not holding it in place. I don't want to use hook and loop fasteners. I would rather design a 'clamp-style fixture on the book ledge that would 'gently' hold the parament. I would greatly appreciate your recommendations.

If I'm picturing the pulpit properly (??? without pictures) then how about burying a couple of strong magnets in the book ledge and doing the same to a small timber trim piece. This would allow you to drape the fabric item (sorry not up on the correct names) where you want it and then 'clamping' it in place with the trim piece.

Just a thought.

No skills":3d88krgc said:
If I'm picturing the pulpit properly (??? without pictures) then how about burying a couple of strong magnets in the book ledge and doing the same to a small timber trim piece. This would allow you to drape the fabric item (sorry not up on the correct names) where you want it and then 'clamping' it in place with the trim piece.

Just a thought.

That sounds like a workable alternative. It would hold the material without commpressing it and it would be easy to change out. Thank you. I will test 'drive' it and see how it works. I will post a picture of the finished product.

revwayne":17i1j4fk said:
No skills":17i1j4fk said:

Just a thought.

That sounds like a workable alternative. It would hold the material without commpressing it and it would be easy to change out. Thank you. I will test 'drive' it and see how it works. I will post a picture of the finished product.

You'll definitely need a test drive. Modern rare earth magnets are counter-intuitively strong, and since you express concern about the delicacy of the fabric, you'll want to check your magnets aren't TOO strong.

You could also look into the (much gentler) magnets sold for whiteboards and/or fridges.

BugBear

The test was interesting...I have an abundant supply of the rare earth magnets in various sizes and the smaller magnets actually held the wood strip tightly against the fabric! Thank you all for your advice and counsel!

houtslager":pwatggsh said:
right then , Rev.

where's the pics ?

hope chrimbo went well for you and your flock.

K

Thank you for the good wishes houtslager. The celebrations did go well. Today I'll be back in the shop and will drag the camera down there for a few shots of the work and then some 'in place' in the chancel. Bear with my rather primitve efforts a bit longer and I'll gladly share them.

I gave up on it because of all the rubbish being spouted from all sides.
And yes I do not agree with his statements nor his misguided take on history.
But IMHO your comments should be restrained to that topic not carried on elsewhere?

Back