Pulley bearings removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodiedonald

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im in the process of changing bearings on my old lathe. The ones that are presenting some difficulty are the ones on the top step-pulley, not the one on the motor, the other one.

What my problem is the assembly that holds the top step pulley. There are two blue cast iron brackets stuck to the spindle shaft which is steel.

Basically I need to get the two blue parts taken off. I've tried everything such as filing down the spindle shaft on one end, trying to hit the spindle with a drift pin to tap it out but it seems to be stuck fast and wont budge.

If anyone has any idea of how to fix this I'd be grateful for the help.

Cheers,
Donald

Attachments

• GEDC0149.JPG
    GEDC0149.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 1,286
Hi

you need to remove the grub screw / roll pin that's locking the shaft to the pillow block - it's the black thing at the top of the block in the photo.

I hope, for your sake, it's a grub screw and not roll pin

Pillow Block.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Pillow Block.png
    Pillow Block.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,269
I tried loosening it about one or two turns, taking it out completely would hardly make much difference? I dont think its a roll pin seems to be a normal grub screw.

thanks,
Donald

woodiedonald":3n8yjvhk said:
taking it out completely would hardly make much difference

Hi

That depends on how far into the shaft it's recessed.

Take both grub screws completely out - spray the shaft with penetrating fluid and try to rotate the pillow blocks in opposite directions.

Do they move at all?

Regards Mick

Also check to make sure there isnt a second grub screw underneath the first one, this is quite common.

john

Right, Mick I did what you said and only one of the blocks turns at all, but it takes a bit of heft to move it! The other one doesn't move at all.

Cheers
Donald

Hi

OK - keep applying penetrating fluid and turning the block, it should progressively loosen enough to remove it. Once it's off we'll be able to see how best to approach the other end

Regards Mick

You should have removed the grub screws from the pulley again there may be one on top of the other. If at any time the pulley has come lose the grub screws will have made a grove in the shaft, if this has happened you have a problem, if you hit it the casting may break.

wizard":11u2y5ng said:
You should have removed the grub screws from the pulley again there may be one on top of the other. If at any time the pulley has come lose the grub screws will have made a grove in the shaft, if this has happened you have a problem, if you hit it the casting may break

Hi

My guess is that the bearings are in the pulley stack - how else would it work if the shaft is locked to the pillow blocks?

Regards Mick

Do any of you think freezing the whole fupping thing would help? my thinking is that hopefully the steel shaft would shrink more than the cast iron pillow block? don't laugh too hard if that's a stupid thing to say i'm no metalwork expert

Hi

Freezing the whole assembly would work provided you have some means of rapidly heating the pillow blocks to expand them - a gas torch or paraffin blowlamp would be ideal.

I'd give it in the region of an hour in the freezer, (in a plastic bag), to cold soak the assembly, then hit the blocks with heat for about 30 seconds each. Have thick gloves ready and see if the pillow blocks will twist off.

As Wizard says - what lathe is it?

Regards Mick

I break lathes for spares, it takes me about 2 hours to strip down a metalworking lathe, just bought a viceroy and i am on my third day, nearly all lathes are the same apart from this one, nothing is easy to get at.

Oddly enough I am in a similar predicament. The grass cutter broke and I am having difficulty in getting the blade mounting boss off the spindle. The spindle by the way for some idea of size is 37mm dia. the bit that broke is 3/4" thick by 5 inches across. It crystallised and the welds failed.

P1020182.JPG

P1020207.JPG

P1020209.JPG

I need a bigger hammer.

Attachments

• P1020182.JPG
    P1020182.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 981
  • P1020207.JPG
    P1020207.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 981
  • P1020209.JPG
    P1020209.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 981
Right, I've tried freezing it and heating it as you said Mick and it didn't do much. What would you think of cutting the cast iron away, maybe cut it above and below the steel spindle and using normal shop bought pillow blocks and making a spacer to get them to the right height?

Starting to get sick of fixing this machine now,
Donald

Donald can you take some more photo's like one of each end the whole assembly. Where abouts roughly are you as some one may be willing to have a look for you

Here's some more pics, sorry for the delay.

Attachments

• GEDC0151.JPG
    GEDC0151.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 563
  • GEDC0153.JPG
    GEDC0153.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 563
Back