Puduke / Buduke !! er however you spell it ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Also done this from a square block

about 6" high 4" diameter

IMG_1258.jpg

and

IMG_1257.jpg

and

IMG_1259.jpg

this was turned and sanded , there is no finish or wax on it , just looks great , colour is pinkish brown and it shines , I love the wood but its very dry and Very Dusty !!

and yes it cracked on the base when in the chuck :cry:

Padauk is distinctly red - although also very dusty.
Does the timber smell? The nearest I've seen to that grain pattern is Cedar of Lebanon - quite soft,smells lovely :D

P.S. - nice turning!

Andrew

Blister it looks more like Wellingtonia or other fast growing conifer, maybe Cedar. The distinct difference in hardness between the growth ring bands is typical.
If it was Padauk you would be red from head to toe.

On wide grained woods like your sample try to plan for a spigot instead of a socket, over compression of the chuck can only bruise the wood, it can't cause a failure. If you don't want to loose height by turning off the spigot glue a piece of scrap wood on first and turn your spigot in that.

I see Andrew got there first with the Red and cedar comments :roll: .

Welcome to the forum shedhead,

One of the all time problems trying to identify processed wood, I currently have a stock of what I was told is Teak, further inspection below the applied finish leaves me in doubt, Teak? Brazilian Teak, whatever that is? Sapele? Mahogany? Iroko (I hope not)? every species seems to provide at least one sample that matches :roll:

hi blister, i dont care what wood it is,,,,,, its a fantastic loking peice.
welcome to the forum shedhead.

That's an amazing looking piece, Blister. But it's not at all like the padauk blank that I have waiting for inspiration - I'd go along with the suggestion of a fast-growing pine species. Which are often claimed to be no good for turning - you've proved the opposite.

I have a few pieces like that from a plank I was given by a builder, similar grain, dusty, very dry and hard. I was told it was cedar.

Pete

Back