PT 260 planer/thicknesser with 1-phase 230V vs 3-phase 400V

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arutha

Established Member
Reaction score
A few days ago, I bought a used PT 260 planer/thicknesser, that looks like the same machine as the Record PT 260 and Metabo HC 260C, and many more.

I thought it was a 3-phase machine (it was advertised as such), but my machine is the 1-phase 230 V version (2.2 kW). I was a bit disappointed because of this, but the price was good, and the machine was in really good condition, so I decided to buy it anyhow.

I haven't used it much yet, but the 230 V motor seems to be enough for smaller jobs at least.

Browsing the internet, I found that this machine is also available with a 400V (3 kW I think), 3-phase motor.

I'm wondering if it would be worth replacing the motor, in case this is not powerful enough.

I guess replacing the power switch and motor would be all that needs replacing. Anyone tried this?

Hi,

Many people would want to convert from 3 to 1 phase. First I've heard of someone going the other way!

As for motor swap, if its the same spindle size for your pulley and the bolt spacing to fix it down is the same as your new motor it should be painless. If its not the same size it can still be done but much more hassle as I found out recently.

Might help if you're able to get a second hand motor. Keep the cost down if you can.

Cheers,
Donald.

Hi.

A standard (ISO) 2.2kW motor has a so called 90 frame size whereas a 3kW has a 100 frame size.
This means the dimensions are different, among othter things the shaft diametre is 24mm for the former and 28mm for the latter.

I think a 2.2kW motor is plenty enough for a 250mm wide planer unless you try to remove, say 3mm off a wide super hard exotic timber plank

woodiedonald":358h4gpb said:
Hi,

Many people would want to convert from 3 to 1 phase. First I've heard of someone going the other way!

When living in scandinavia where 3-phase is in practically every home, there's really no reason not to get 3-phase if it's available.

In this case it seems like a lot of work and effort for probably little gain though.

Ok, thanks. I'll keep it as it is, for the time being. :)

I had thought it would not be powerful enough, because my old planer/thicknesser ran on 3-phase power (and most of the used ones I've seen as well). But I'll leave it alone for now.

Back