Protective covers for mortise chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
Funny request I know, but does anyone know where I can buy plastic protective covers for mortise chisels? :? As I know you can buy them at lots of places for bevel edge chisels. Or does anyone have any good ideas for what I can use a protective cover, as the edges are cutting through the stupid plastic bags they were supplied in?

Thanks guys

Nads :)

Nads

I assume you're referring to a pig sticker type? They certainly don't fit into the normal plastic cap do they? I've made a simple cover for mine out of a piece of tough but flexible plastic bound round with insulating tape. I used a piece cut from one those plastic soup containers.

I'd post a picture but my daughter has taken her camera away with her for the weekend!

Regards.

I find a suede leather tool rooll to be excellent, if your carrying them in a bag no worries, the roll keeps them all together and they dont rattle. :D

take a wad of fabric, add a little oil and stick them in the bottom of the pouches. The blade will bed intot he clothe and in 25 years I have yet to slice though a chisel roll as the wad keeps the pockets open when you slide in a tool.

Not sure if it's work on a mortise chisel, although I see no reason why not, but I've had paring chisels and gouges from patternmakers that have their ends dipped in wax to created a cover fwiw. I vaguely wonder if the plastic dip stuff that gets sold as quick whipping* for rope work would work, if you waxed the blade first... :-k

Cheers, Alf

*No, nothing to do with lashes :roll:

I use a plastic shroud called heatshrink....i think axminster might sell it for something in their dust extraction pages.
basically its used for covering electrical cabels.....its normally larger than the cable and you use a hairdrier styled heatgun to shrink it to size. If you use a bit of excess at the end of it curls up creating an almost sealed end. if you dont go mad with the heatgun you can leave it slightly slack and produce some nice protectors.

works nice

I

Thanks for your replies guys, loads of good ideas!
I've have to try a few of yours tips!
I've got some heatshrink in the garage but didn't think of using that,
so I'll give that a try first!

Thanks again :)

Nads

Back