Protecting tools for a year+

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparker

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving away for one year or more and need to pack away my hand tools and protect them from rust whilst I'm away.

A few of my tools are already a bit tarnished from sweaty days in the shop this summer so I know the first step will be cleaning them up.

- What is the best / easiest way to remove light rust? Any particular products that make this easy?
- What steps can I take to protect them during a long period of no use?

Oil, wax, silica in the toolbox, wrappings etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Raw linseed oil sets to a fairly hard skin which will rub off when the tools start being used again. It also fixes light rust in that it won't get any worse.

I keep all my hand tools in DeWalt Tough boxes. They are airtight. I bought bulk silica gel (a couple of dozen pouches at 50 grams or 100 grams each. The colour indicating stuff is best. Orange when fresh, green when damp.
These throw in the toolboxes ( 1 per box) and work brilliantly.
I regenerate them by microwaving every 3-6 months of regular use- 60-90 sec on full to get them hot then about 20 minutes on defrost setting. They steam as the water is driven out.

For a long absence, use metalguard ultra first after cleaning.
Optionally wipe on an oil or rust resistant machine table wax for double protection.
Silica gel will do the rest.

boshield T9 in a spraycan.

https://boeshield.com/
All my kit was sprayed at the start of lockdown and sat 50 yards from the north see in an unheated wksp until a month ago and not a spot of rust

I've tried everything out there, with mixed results. I've recently tried lanoguard which after a few months I like the stuff

Back