Protecting cast iron?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.

I'm going to be cleaning uo my table saw as well as a couple of planes that have been a little neglected.

Once cleaned, what would people recommend to use afterwards to keep them nice?

I use clear bri wax on my bandsaw table, as long as its applied regularly then its fine but that would be the same with most products.

Matt

Keep them out of the rain. Use them often. Raw linseed oil is brilliant - brushed on very thin.

I use rennaissance wax on my bandsaw table, I apply it once or twice a year when I remember basically.

I'm probably teaching egg sucking, but here's what I do.

Beeswax and genuine turps. 2 to 1 mix. (White spirit will do, but it's a bit watery, and I wouldn't use quite so much)

Melt the wax in a clean ex-food can. (I use the flat Tuna tins). Check the depth of the wax, then add twice the amount of turps, and mix well. Allow to cool. If you want a superior polish, add some carnauba wax. If you want a thicker polish, use less turps. Doh! I reckon you could've worked that out! :mrgreen:

I know this polish sounds expensive, but I would imagine most woodworkers keep some genuine turps, and probably beeswax to hand. Also, you don't need much at one go, and a tuna-tin full lasts quite well, as you don't need to be heavy-handed. This is especially true for the turners among us. With the carnauba added, it's the best wax finish I ever used, and it would no doubt polish up a cast iron table well.

PS... PLEASE! Don't add the turps with the tin over the heat source! I know you wouldn't, but there.. I've told you!

HTH
John

like benchwayze says, beeswax is pretty cheap in block form, something like 10 quid for a kilogram that will make a few years supply for a regular user.
I use white spirits at 1 to 1 for a soft paste wax and 2 to 1 for a harder wax (still rather soft though, might reduce it to 2 to 0.75)
I also use a glass jar for making it in and use a ban maria (or however you spell it, put jar in water, heat water), and storing it, saves having to dump it out. never bothered adding carnauba before, might give that a go.

novocaine":310hzxph said:
like benchwayze says, beeswax is pretty cheap in block form, something like 10 quid for a kilogram that will make a few years supply for a regular user.
I use white spirits at 1 to 1 for a soft paste wax and 2 to 1 for a harder wax (still rather soft though, might reduce it to 2 to 0.75)
I also use a glass jar for making it in and use a ban maria (or however you spell it, put jar in water, heat water), and storing it, saves having to dump it out. never bothered adding carnauba before, might give that a go.

I usually make enough to just fill the tuna tin. I use it straight from the tin, just as I would Briwax. I managed to find an old plastic lid, that fitted well enough, and it lives on a shelf. (Well at least it did last time I used it!)

:D

I will have to try making my own to see how it compares to renaissance wax. I find renaissance is good if applied regularly. I have found it doesn't work well where saw dust can settle on cast surface and be left. Saw dust seems to soak up any moisture and then cause rust.

Right, as I've had a couple of PMs, I'll give you all the benefit of my very limited knowledge. I made beeswax polish while at school the better part of fifty years ago, so knew how to do it. You must use a bain marie of some description - all it is is a double boiler. A pan in a larger pan, my way - a jam jar in a saucepan of water. This obviously for safety - any solvent by its nature is liable to go up in flames especially if you're using a gas stove. I used to put chips of carnauba in with the beeswax, as it hardens the polish - beeswax alone takes fingerprints easily, hardened up a bit it's better. I decided after PMing someone for a source of MC wax that it would be interesting to try making an MC/another wax polish to try to get one with a better depth of shine than maybe MC alone would give. All speculation, but plenty of scope for experimentation, as nothing really is wasted - it just gets churned into something else if not particularly successful. I use pure turpentine as I like the smell but White spirit is fine, and a lot cheaper obviously. For protection only straight MC wax and white spirit would be fine I would think, and could be kept thin for the ease of application - it hasn't got to shine, after all. I haven't needed to try this mix. I wouldn't think there was much difference (certainly for just steel protection) in other sources of MC - it's designed to have a high melting point, whatever it's meant for. This particular wax iirc has a melting point of 73c, with carnauba at 82c and beeswax at 63c which made me think to make a polish 50% pure turps, 25% carnauba and 25% MC (by weight - I tried to be a little methodical, which goes against the grain :D ), I didn't include beeswax in this because of its softness. This worked out at about £3 for a 200gm jar (a supermarket own brand mustard jar) when buying MC wax by the 200gm, carnauba by the kilo and pure turps at £3 per 250ml. I've been using Chestnut and I can't see much difference. If you're in a club or have turner friends you can pass some wax on to justify the bulk purchase.
I apologise for this collection of random thoughts, and will undoubtedly add more random thoughts as they randomly occur to me. :lol:

I was one of the PM's. My grateful thanks to Phil for sharing it on a wider stage. It's a simple, cheap receipe, seen variants and enhancements of it over the years as furniture polish etc, never knew or thought that microcrystalline was so easily obtained. Silly me.

Sam

Back