Prostate Cancer Test

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
We have had discussion before with opposing views. This wont change those views but does provide information.

GPs now have new guidance - same tests so far as I can see - 'The guidance said GPs should not proactively raise the issue of PSA testing with asymptomatic men but the test is freely available to any well men over 50 who request it.'

Read the full piece to get the full picture. The test as with all medical tests and screening has limitations.

http://www.thecommissioningreview.com/a ... ancer-pack

First of. I've been away for some time due to other thing in my life. But as to the test above.

One who has had the test. It's not the pleasant of thing to go through. I have no idea what the push up your back side. But it starts with a camera, and a light. Then they have a thing to snip a bit of your prostate off. not just one snip. But about ten or more bit's. I guess they are taking it from different section. It feels like you have half the NHS up your Azz, working away. Buy the way don't be surprised if you start to water blood aft wards. It's about ten day's before you get the results back, Mine was clear. Look forward to a few day's of being sore. But well worth getting it done.
John933

I recommend everyone, say over 60, to have a blood test to check for prostate cancer. I had a test in December 2014 which proved positive and a biopsy confirmed it. In January a scan showed it hadn't spread beyond the prostate which was a relief. Hormone treatment followed immediately - this stops the production of testosterone which the cancer feeds on. Then in May I commenced 7 weeks Monday to Friday of radiotherapy. This is now being followed up by 6 monthly blood tests and I'm pleased to say I'm OK. Apparently you never get rid of it completely but with regular testing it can be treated if it should flare up again.
Hope my experience helps those who are wondering whether to go for a test.

John

Here in Cyprus, I can go private and get a PSA blood test done for around £50. results same day if you have the blood taken early enough, next day if not.

Or, i can go NHS, have a blood test for 30 euro, wait three MONTHS, find they lost it, do it again, and they cant find the second lot either.

So I'm happy to pay £50 twice a year.

To be fair to the Cyprus health service, their emergency response and treatments are at least as good as the best of the UK, maybe better. But not if you need a prostate check.

After my wife got cancer I saw my GP and said I wanted the test. It happened same day and the results took 1 week. All free, easy. I can't personally see what the problem with the NHS is. Waiting one week in the context of prostrate cancer is a drop in the ocean so I'm happy to continue saving any private money to spend on tools :)

Good for you. I've just had to wait 4 months for an appointment for an endoscopy, Murphy made sure the closest available date was the first day off that I've booked this year (to look after my daughter for half term).

Rrrraaaahhh :evil:

:)

Regarding the urgency for treatment after a positive diagnosis, I was informed that prostate cancer works very slowly and provided it hasn't spread outside the prostate gland then a couple of weeks delay before treatment starts is not detrimental. Mine was diagnosed a week before the Christmas and treatment started mid January.

John

I suffer from high BP and have a yearly check with my GP. I ask for a PSA test each time as my blood is being tested anyway. It's not an issue, and so far been in the normal range. I'm 64. I think all. Over 60s ought to get tested regularly.

NickWelford":28a4xjr9 said:
I suffer from high BP and have a yearly check with my GP. I ask for a PSA test each time as my blood is being tested anyway. It's not an issue, and so far been in the normal range. I'm 64. I think all. Over 60s ought to get tested regularly.

I simply couldn't agree more. I think the NHS is a superb organisation and they have without question saved the lives of my wife and youngest son in the recent past so I am their biggest fan. But at a strategic planning perspective I cannot for the life of me understand the rationale that doesn't have us following the French model which is to say screen, screen and more screen. The cost of screening must surely be a fraction of the cost of treating cancer that's been caught once it's metastatic leave alone the suffering involved for the families concerned.

The reality with cancer is that with modern methods, if caught early enough (because of screening) it is curable in most cases. Either my anecdotal maths about the costs is just plain wrong or we're missing something as a nation on this issue.

If you have a PSA test aged 60 and it is below 1.0, it is almost impossible for you to get prostate Ca according to a urologist I work with
Regards Mark

As an outsider (Canuck) , I cannot speak to the various charges , wait times or restrictions involved with other countries and their various health services. However , as a prostate cancer patient , I can speak to the need for testing. Do not wait til you are 60 , 55 or 50. I was less than55 when diagnosed as stage 4 and with considerable metastisis to the bladder and kidneys due to a particularly aggressive form of cancer. it is a bit of a miracle I'm doing as well as I am today. Early detection is key to most patients survival. If you are in your 40's or older , ditch excess pride and bend on the table , then take a blood test , then follow up on a regular basis. If I had gotten the test early enough I would not now be shocking doctors when I show up for scheduled quarterly appt. (they try to hide the shock , but invariably their jaws drop before they can mask it). I'm bloody lucky , others have been less so , don't tempt fate.

With regards to the NHS:

I recently had some chest pains. I'm 41 so wasn't thinking anything too serious until they became very bad. I drove myself to hospital (later told I should have dialled 999). I went into see a triage nurse after about 10 minute wait. After that I was whisked through to "Majors". ECG's and bloods taken - all a first for me. I was kept in overnight and more bloods taken during the night. The following day I was released but told to go to the emergency cardiac clinic who did a ECG and an Echo sound. All fine and told it was probably an infection. Released to my GP. She saw me the following day and got some blood tests done and a chest X-ray. The results came back and she was concerned about my CRP levels so sent me for a CT scan. I then saw a respiratory consultant. He said I had an infection and it would go. Booked me in to go back in a month to confirm all was well. I did that, had another X ray and saw another consultant and was discharged. All of this happened immediately, no waiting lists, all treated very well and with great efficiency. I actually have private health care but at no point did I feel the need to use it.

I think for serious issues the NHS works brilliantly. My daughter has some skin rash on a daily basis at the moment and we have struggled to make any progress with her using the NHS and it's all very slow, so we have used our private health insurance for her, but I don't have an issue with the NHS, they are prioritising the urgent cases.

I honestly can't fault the NHS except for charging me £32 for being parked when they had kept me in and I'd saved the resource of an ambulance! I do feel that you shouldn't have to pay to park at a hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":1uxv8urp said:
With regards to the NHS...[snip]...I do feel that you shouldn't have to pay to park at a hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free in Wales, probably free everywhere other than England actually, perhaps others will confirm.

I am looking to get something looked at and am seriously considering going and buying a motorbike again just to avoid parking charges. I'm not joking by the way.

John933":4o2tjnq6 said:
One who has had the test. It's not the pleasant of thing to go through....../cut/..... Look forward to a few day's of being sore..
What you described isn't a PSA test which is a simple blood test, but a trans-rectal ultrasound guided biopsy. These will only be done IF there's reason to suspect a cancerous growth in the prostate (eg by a high PSA level from a blood test or other diagnosis).
Best not to mix the two up and risk putting anyone off a PSA test.

Don't ask for the PSA test around these parts. When I asked I was told the results from PSA tests are inconclusive without other symptom, giving false positives, and are therefore a waste of time, and not available, period, without other reasons to give it.

I'm 59 and no reason to think anything is wrong and believed theses tests were good, but have to wait until there is reason to have it.

Phil
Somerset.

Rhossydd":3chfvmfu said:
John933":3chfvmfu said:
One who has had the test. It's not the pleasant of thing to go through....../cut/..... Look forward to a few day's of being sore..
What you described isn't a PSA test which is a simple blood test, but a trans-rectal ultrasound guided biopsy. These will only be done IF there's reason to suspect a cancerous growth in the prostate (eg by a high PSA level from a blood test or other diagnosis).
Best not to mix the two up and risk putting anyone off a PSA test.

Hell I did not know that. Just another test to me. But thanks for the info.
John933

Sheptonphil":q5gqe46z said:
Don't ask for the PSA test around these parts. When I asked I was told the results from PSA tests are inconclusive without other symptom, giving false positives, and are therefore a waste of time, and not available, period, without other reasons to give it.

I'm 59 and no reason to think anything is wrong and believed theses tests were good, but have to wait until there is reason to have it.

Phil
Somerset.
My brother, also called Phil, had one every year as part of an insurance plan his company provided. It picked up prostate cancer that he didn't know he had, which was successfully treated. Had he not had one he would have probably ended up in a bad way or worse. It's your health, not the doctors! It is available if you insist! I have one on the NHS every year.

Latest posts

Back