Cancer scare please read, to your benefit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
My older brother (aged 64), has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Neither he or the doctors are worried as it has been caught very early and with quick treatment there is an excellent chance of full recovery.

He found out so early because he has always been diligent about his well being (unlike me), and has always been for regular check ups. The cancer was found by a PSA test. This is a simple blood test carried out on request by your GP. (Nothing more invasive than a needle). I had never heard of it before, but he has been having them annually for the last 10 years. It has saved his life.

Mine is booked for next Wednesday. I suggest you do the same if you are male and over 50. I would also urge you to pass on the information to anyone you know that would be eligible. It's easy to say 'yeah, OK when I get round to it', but when it's close to home it spurs you on.

Make the call, and pass it on.

+1 to that. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April last year due to having a blood test for something else (I think if you are male and of the right age, when the hospital gets a sample of your blood they will test your PSA) I had surgery in september last year (stings a bit I can tell you!) and the hospital have effectively given me the all clear as my PSA is now less than 0.1(they continue to test in case the surgeon left a small bit by mistake) So yes go and get the test done it could save your life, ring your doc on Monday. Apparently I had had the cancer for years without it showing any problems.

Thanks Guys. Hope it stays away FH. My brother has had 52 'radioactive seeds' implanted in his prostate under full anesthetic and by needle using ultrasound to locate their positions. He is now radioactive for about 3 months and has been warned against picking up his grand children and going near pregnant women. He had the treatment yesterday and is home now, sore but generally OK.

Hope your brother comes off well Graham. Good on you for bringing it up as well. Last year I was diagnosed with a prostate cancer as well and posted a similar warning to us lot of a certain age. I wasn't quite as fortunate in timing as your brother , as mine has spread to surrounding organs. Heed this warning ...get tested. For the sake of some drawn blood or a small jab at your dignity , much grief may be avoided.

I agree, get it checked....as a side issue also recommended to check your underclackers!! I had testicular cancer but after a year of treatment and numerous surgeries I have been in remission for 30 months or so...the treatment is worse thanm the cancer but so so worth it. And if you find a lump or anything down there dont take no for an answer....get a second opinion and a third until someone sends you for tests!!! I was nearly too late due to a useless gp (now retired)....so yes....take all and any tests available to you!!

Thanks again for the input guys. Sorry to hear your plight Lanmaux. Take care buddy. It's a horrible disease.

Latest posts

Back