projects for thin stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midge29

Established Member
Reaction score
i picked up a load of lovely figured oak and had a lot of thin stock thrown in the deal. the boards are up to 12 inches wide and are under 1/2 thick straight off the bandsaw. i,m in need of some inspiration what projects i could use them for , was thinking of some boxes maybe , any help with some ideas would be appreciated, thank you

If you have means of surfacing these thin boards, you could make a nice panelled chest, having due regard to solid timber's proclivity to move. A chance to familiarise yourself with traditional construction methods; (not trying to teach egg-sucking, of course!)

HTH

:D

Knife and fork trays, tricky little blighters, well the one I made was.

Pete

Have you got a reasonable amount? Might be worth making yourself a thickness sander so you can retain the maximum of it.

I've used quite a bit of bandsawn 1/2" stock for patio planters. I didn't bother planing them either because I tend to stain my planters with the Wimbledon style green (cuprinol shades). Out door planters can bear looking a little rough.

The 1/2" boards get tongue and grooved and then slotted into a housing in the upper and lower rails of a classic frame design. Sometimes I'll turn finials on the leg tops. Hang on I'll see if I can dig out a piccy. I've used a fair bit of scrap up that way rather than chuck it. Because it takes a paint finish I also don't care what the wood is so can mix the species. I've done it with reclaimed wood too from old garden tables etc.

Here ya go

Patio planter 12.jpg

Patio planter 13.jpg

Patio planter 7.jpg

Patio planter 5.jpg

Patio planter 4.jpg

Patio planter 1.jpg

Attachments

• Patio planter 1.jpg
    Patio planter 1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Patio planter 4.jpg
    Patio planter 4.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Patio planter 5.jpg
    Patio planter 5.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Patio planter 7.jpg
    Patio planter 7.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Patio planter 13.jpg
    Patio planter 13.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Patio planter 12.jpg
    Patio planter 12.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 124
Perhaps making some toys or models might appeal to you. Free paper toy patterns abound on the internet and can be used to pattern some cool looking models. Google "space station 42" for more free art than you can shake a scroll saw at.

How about a chest of drawers with nice thin sides to the drawers?
Or an engineer's style tool cabinet - lots of thin wood in a relatively small piece.

thanks for the suggestions , i like the planters but i think the oak is too good for these, i think i will go for the panelled chest and have a go at a tray also , i have a thicknesser planer and have tried a few bits through it and they are coming out with a nice finish at 10mm . i could do with sourcing some more oak boards as i,m planning on making a few projects. any suggestions of anywhere in kent to buy some nice dry boards, the ones i just brought were £30 a cubic ft but i did not shop about so could i get a better price ,

Latest posts

Back