Projects for Presents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Established Member
Reaction score
My niece got me thinking. I was showing her the wood I picked up the other weekend, including the large slab of Purpleheart. Her immediate response was "Mum look at the purple wood!" shortly followed by "Can I have purple shelves for Xmas?" She's going to grow up with expensive taste.

But this got me thinking. As I start out on my woodworking journey, it's probably not a bad idea to make some smaller (or indeed larger things) things as presents for Xmas, birthdays etc. This is either because it's "more personal" or because it's cheaper -as I want the practice anyway. I'm going for a bit of both :wink:

Apart from decorative boxes, which I will be starting to make anyway, I wondered if anyone else has made things (ideally small projects) that go down well as presents? Perhaps using offcuts and the like? When my skills grow, I'll move onto larger things.

Yes I know it's 6months till Xmas but in this instance I really can't leave it till the night before! :lol:

Oh and my Sister has already asked for a Pine coffee table. This could get expensive!

Cheers,

Charlie

It's a great idea to make presents (not everyone would appreciate a home-made gift, but those that would, really do - if that made sense).

Mrs DM79 loves crystals, so I bought her a chunk of amethyst, and made a simple stand for it out of oak, and a matching oak tealight holder - the iea being the tealight candle would sit in front, and the crystal would shine/reflect the candlelight in a pretty way.

I make most of our presents - last year we did jewelry boxes and clocks, the year before we did bowls and vases - this year i am looking at doing pens (nearly all of the above is turned - but i am also looking at doing childrens mobiles for presents for those whove just sprogged, and may even be building a crib -gulp - for my brother in law and his missus to mark the birth of my new neice or nephew)

Back