Project Dogs of Wonderment - A n0legs production,,, again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you want too much?
My Granny used to say "You want too much, look what happened to Mrs Meek's boys. Both in Cardiff (prison) and that's because they wanted too much. See what wanting does????"
To this day I have no idea who Mrs Meek is. I wouldn't know her sons if they tapped me on the shoulder and said hi.

Anyway,,,,,, who wants a quick WIP? I've been "wanting" again. Sorry Gran :oops:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, doesn't stuff cost loads for what it is?
I would love to be able to open up the Axminster site or Workshop Heaven, etc etc, and just order the bloody lot. Wow! what a treat that would be. But hey we live in the real world, right?

So what's a girl to do. Go on "wanting" and not getting (I knew a few fat birds like that years ago. Ten tins of Tennent's Super girls, know what I mean :?: Drink is in, all sense, shame, taste is gone. Ho hum :cry: . Moving on)

Well after my little bench refurb (see covering up all the old with shiny and new) I decided I needed a few bits and pieces. Maybe some hold downs, dogs, clamps etc. Basically all the nice stuff Veritas and the like sell. Do I want to pay Veritas etc? No! Sorry.

I do like to tune in and see what the hand tool wonder Mr Renaissance Woodworker gets up to. Well lookie looie what he's been and done. Veritas panel clamps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmpLE2Vwjk
Home made. Studding and nuts and a few bolts. We can do this, can't we? Yup. Can we do better? I hope so.

So not needing quite yet some panel clamps, but really wanting some of those sexy little wonder dogs. Oh they are sooooo pretty!, Daddy wants some of them.
We set sail once again on the high seas of back street mechanicing, making it up as we go along and doing things we probably shouldn't be doing with the tools at our disposal.
Are we worried? Negative :roll:
Are we going to do this? Affirmative 8)
Will we lose any body parts? Not sure, I'll get back to you [-o<

In this lot there's some of those wonder dog like bits we're after. They're hiding at the moment, but they are there.

So what have we got?
Brass bar 20mm dia. Brass bar 12mm dia. Brass square bar 1/2". M12 studding. Roll pins 1/8" x 1/2".

The plan?????? Like I said we'll make this up as we go along.
Coffee, smoke, sit down, pick nose, scratch pineapple. Bingo!
IPod engaged. Shuffle selected and with inspirational words from Leonard Cohen, System Of A Down, Rammstein, Prodigy and Mr J Cash, we push the boat away from the harbour wall.

First lets make a little holder for the studding.
Holder purpose?
To hold the end of the studding at the tailstock on the lathe.
Why?
Avoidance of losing body parts :wink:

There, simple holder made of a 3/4"BSW brass stud. Drilled right through with a 3mm, then one end drilled and tapped at M12.

Studding rough cut to 160-170mm, screwed into holder and mounted on the lathe.
Studding attacked with files until desired shape is obtained 8)

Repeated and cut down to length. Approx 150mm.

Square bar marked out and then drilled.
8mm hole for end of studding, with two 3mm holes laid out to capture the studding in the little groove we've made via some roll pins when fitted later.

DRO set for the correct depth. Maybe that should be STA for correct depth :lol:

Square bar cut to length then face off on the lathe. I've really got to get a metal working lathe!

Roll pins inserted and the studding is fixed, but free(ish) to rotate :|

My old mentor would say things like "it'll free up when it's had a bit of work" or "it'll be fine when it's bedded in". Sometimes it would be a more "earthy" comment depending on who we were doing the work for.
So rather than wait for them to "bed" in or "free up" I decided to, how should I put this? Force the issue, speed things up maybe??
Yup, you're seeing right. I clamped the brass square in the drill vice and stuck the studding in the chuck and switched it on. Not conventional but it did work :shock:
Five minutes of that and these things spin with the rotation of the earth 8)

Happy? Yes sir.
We've had a couple of productive hours and this little project is up and running.
Friends, dear readers, brothers and sisters that's it for this update now.
But like Governator Schwarzenegger said, "I'll be back" :D

Much love, n0legs.

Very enjoyable, watching with interest as I have also been coveting the wonder dogs. Leonard Cohen mixed with Rammstein, whatever next....

Looking good!

I predict that these will be appearing on quite a lot of to-do lists in the near future.

DSC_0874.jpg

Love the marks on the face of the jaws! :D

BugBear

Woodmonkey":2l9vu6lf said:
Very enjoyable, watching with interest as I have also been coveting the wonder dogs. Leonard Cohen mixed with Rammstein, whatever next....

Cheers :D
You'd be surprised what I can put together and get some sense out of :lol:
Cohen was brilliant live, he is a must see and Rammstein,,,,, wow!! what a show :lol:

AndyT":21664ex0 said:
Looking good!

I predict that these will be appearing on quite a lot of to-do lists in the near future.

Hi Andy :D
Yes I hope so. If I can do it so can someone else, it's just getting out there and giving it a go. I don't want to cripple Veritas, but if I can make them for a lot less then that's the way I'm going.

:D =D> Love it.
It reminds me about the old joke about the Johnny and the school teacher.

Miss: Johnny, there a 7 crows sat on the Farmer's fence. The Farmer shoots one crow. How many crows are left?

J: None Miss.

M: No Johnny the answer is 6. 7 minus 1 is 6.

J: Yes Miss but all the other crows would have flown away when the gun fired.

M: You're wrong Johnny but I like the way you're thinking.

J: Ahhhh. Miss? I have a question.

M: Yes Johnny?

J: When you eat an Ice cream cone, do you lick the sides, nibble the top or swallow it all down in one go?

M: *confused: Hmmm well I'm not sure of the relevance Johnny but I love Ice cream cones. In all honesty I do all three. Is that the right answer?

J:Dunno Miss, but I like the way you're thinking.

n0legs":3ayrneh6 said:
Woodmonkey":3ayrneh6 said:

Cohen was brilliant live, he is a must see and Rammstein,,,,, wow!! what a show :lol:
My sister, who lives in Auckland (yes, she's Jafa :D ) was offered tickets to see Leonard Cohen ... and turned them down. :(

n0legs":2ocvowei said:
Woodmonkey":2ocvowei said:

Saw Leonard at Glastonbury a few years back as the sun set behind the main stage, it was beautiful.
Also saw rammstein a few years earlier at a music festival in Sweden, much leather lederhosen and pyrotechnics from what I can remember (I had imbibed a quantity of Swedish Aquavit...)

Bm101":lwgy6yi6 said:
:D =D> Love it.
It reminds me about the old joke about the Johnny and the school teacher.

Miss: Johnny, there a 7 crows sat on the Farmer's fence. The Farmer shoots one crow. How many crows are left?

J: None Miss.

M: No Johnny the answer is 6. 7 minus 1 is 6.

J: Yes Miss but all the other crows would have flown away when the gun fired.

M: You're wrong Johnny but I like the way you're thinking.

J: Ahhhh. Miss? I have a question.

M: Yes Johnny?

J: When you eat an Ice cream cone, do you lick the sides, nibble the top or swallow it all down in one go?

M: *confused: Hmmm well I'm not sure of the relevance Johnny but I love Ice cream cones. In all honesty I do all three. Is that the right answer?

J:Dunno Miss, but I like the way you're thinking.

Love it =D>
Cheers Chris :lol:

phil.p":3owdqpux said:
My sister, who lives in Auckland (yes, she's Jafa :D ) was offered tickets to see Leonard Cohen ... and turned them down. :(

Oh Phil she's a silly girl :shock:
When the tickets came up for him the good woman and I had to go see him, he's getting on a bit now and there was no way we were missing him.
One of the best nights ever :D

Woodmonkey":2s6050d4 said:
Saw Leonard at Glastonbury a few years back as the sun set behind the main stage, it was beautiful.
Also saw rammstein a few years earlier at a music festival in Sweden, much leather lederhosen and pyrotechnics from what I can remember (I had imbibed a quantity of Swedish Aquavit...)

We went to the O2 in 2013 to see him, amazing =D>
He walks on stage and the crowd just shuts up, brilliant absolutely brilliant. Even met Bergerac at the hotel :lol:

Rammstein Made In Germany tour NEC 2012.
Music ---- big tick :D
Fire------- super big tick :D
Overall----- YES YES YES 8)

Awesome, puts mine to shame!

I like the way you bedded them in :lol:

Well we're back and progress in the desired direction has been made.

Posts, yes some posts next.
The 20mm brass bar was marked out, scriber, marking gauge, centre punch etc and some drilling was started.
The CNC was loaded up and off we go.
CNC my a$$! It's a pillar drill, it drills hole closer to 90* repeatedly better than I can and that's the reason it has earned itself some workshop space. CNC :roll: who needs it??... Me! No I don't, I was trained by proper engine-ears :lol:

Yes. Yes, I'm quite aware the pic above is a brass bar with some red marker on it. It seems I got a little premature and didn't take a pic of it marked out in all it's glory :oops:

With the holes complete, and to the correct size depending on which chart you read, some tapping was started for M12
10.2 on one chart 10.3 on another. Well I used a 9mm and let the run out decide.
10.25mm, that'll do :wink:
Don't you just love the squeals of delight brass makes when it's been given a threading? That brings me on to another thing that squeals with delight when it gets a good threading,,,,
(I'll moderate myself here, give the boys in green a break)

Stainless steel, that can be a bit of a beggar as well :D

Yup! I still got it 8)
Hell I spend enough time on the drink, we don't need the threads to be drunk as well.

Time to cut them down.

Once cut close to finished length, we fix them in the lathe for a little tlc.
A quick facing off and a little rounding over the shape is where we want it. A little rub with some 180 and a scotch pad and these parts are done.

Next step is to make some wibbly wobbly handles to wind them up with. The 12mm brass will suit that if I ask it nicely. Who am I kidding, I'm like Stalin in my workshop. It'll do what it's told :lol:

Viewing these, as I do, I'm not so happy with the steel roll pins. I'm sure we can do better.
Some 1/8" brass rod has been sourced and some rivets (not sure if that's the right term??) will become their replacement.
I'd better dig my snap tool out. Where did I put it? Might have to make one of those as well :roll:

Okay folks, that's it for the moment.
Thanks for all the comments and a special thanks to all of you who look in and see what the daft taff is up to :D

DTR":jnwnxl95 said:
Awesome, puts mine to shame!

I like the way you bedded them in :lol:

Dave, Dave, David. Now come on, we know how metal just morphs into desirable items in your hands :lol:
Thanks DTR =D>

Back