Problems with vices - is it me? (probably...)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
After years of making do with a bench cobbled together out of scrap 3 x 2, 4 x 2, floorboard, and chipboard I've recently acquired a Sjobergs bench that has a 'proper' woodworkers vices (two). Each vice has a wooden jaw, the usual heavy central screw, and two plain steel bars running parallel to the screw - I'm sure you know the sort.
The vice grips well on any timber that will sit horizontally above the screw and bars, but anything wider than about 4" is too wide to drop between the bar and screw, and has to be located at one end of the vice (typically if you're taking a shaving off end grain where the timber is too wide for your shooting board). The grip here is poor as the jaws pull out of parallel if you apply anything like a reasonable amount of grunt, and the timber moves in the jaws. OK, you can always drop a piece of timber the same size into the opposite end of the jaws, which has the desired effect, but you then need three hands or a dexterous leg to hold two pieces of timber while you tighten the jaws. I can't be the first bloke to encounter this 'feature'. Anyone else suffering from this, and any other tips to overcome it?
p.s. I still have my old Record woodworking vice, but would prefer not to have to fit it if I can avoid it.

Hi,
A solution to the three hands problem is to still use a block about the same size as your stock for the other end of the vice but make this block up from some 15 or 20 3 inch or 4 inch squares of hardboard threaded onto a dowel or rod.

This will enable the squares to turn to fit the available space and any not fitting into the space will rest on the bench and hold the spacers in place. You could even make it longer so that the spacers bridge the bench to vice face gap and act as a support.

regards
alan

Back