Problems with Ford C max

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have for some time been travelling to the Midlands each week end (120 miles) to my daughters to help with a refurbish of a house.
I have noticed the last few times that if I try to accelerate quickly to overtake or change down and accelerate the engine seems to choke off or run lumpy. This only happens when the engine has run for a few miles. There is no problem when the engine is cold as it goes like a bomb when you accelerate.
The car is a 2008 model and has done 57K miles.
Anyone know whether this is a simple fix :D :D or does it sound very expensive :evil: :evil:

Alan.

When our cat went the car would Rev fine in neutral and drive slowly at low revs, but give the car some go and it just a stuttered. Was about £275 for a replacement

I had grief with our deisel C-Max with similar problems. The engine just refused to pull away - wouldn't give any power. First the garage said it was one of the exhaust sensors that are used to dynamically alter the engine parameters and fuel flow etc.... Paid for that to be replaced only for the exact same thing to occur again a couple of weeks later. This time they wanted to change the injectors.

I part-ex'd it at that point - seemed like throwing money away on the off chance it might fix it.

Sometime I think that they've made hydrocarbon engines far too complicated. I've love for electric to be more feasible and cheaper - not a lot to go wrong with a power pack and a motor - no gears either!

You really need to see if there are any DTC codes (engine malfunction codes) stored on the car's computer.
This will tell you where to look for the fault. It is also what garages do 1st, I have a simple Argos 'RAC' special that I plug into my van & it reads the codes and also deletes them if I want it to.
You could end up going through a lot of money if you just guess what it may be.

I had a very similar issue with mine recently and had to fit a new turbo. There is a known fault with these at about that age (mine was 2007). The third injector is badly machined and air is drawn in at this point and is burned creating carbon build up. This ends up in the turbo killing it. Additionally the turbo sump is poorly designed so that when replacing the turbo and carrying out the cleaning operation it is impossible to remove all of the carbon. This means it will soon kill the replacement turbo. Apparently the turbo manufacturers are now no longer honouring the warranty on them unless fitted to a set of instructions that are impossible to adhere to.

I only know this through hours of research online and having been stung myself. Ford have issued a "statement" which basically means they acknowledge the issue but are not going to do a recall.

New turbo £1000.

Get rid of it now if you can if it is still working. I ended up paying for mine before finding all of this out. But since the work I have now moved the car on.

Do you get a smell of fumes in the cabin? Worse when stopped at a junction with the fan on?

[quotDo you get a smell of fumes in the cabin? Worse when stopped at a junction with the fan on?e][/quote]

No smells at all. If say on a motorway I am doing 60, if I slowly accelerate there is no problem and will go up easily to 90 MPH :oops: but if as I said I try to "floor it" it chokes off. There is no problem when doing this when the engine is cold.
I am off again to the Midlands and have a friend who owns a garage and will ask him to pop his test rig on it.
Thanks for all of your replies, greatly appreciated

Alan.

Back