Latest Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Saw it on Ebay, but it's pick up only in West Midlands, and I'm in North Wales. Rang my Daughter who lives only about 20 miles from the pick up. She and my son in law went over at the week end to check that it was working.
It worked fine so they paid for it and arranged to bring it down to Wales the following week end (120 Miles)
Together we set it up in the workshop Made sure it would do everything that I needed then put it away and hope I never have to use it again.

Oh yes what have I Bought A petrol Generator.

After sitting freezing cold when we lost power due to the storm I said never again.
We had candles for light and a small primus stove for a hot drink but no form of heating.

We had our first power cut just after moving down here in Dec. some 25 years ago when it went off Christmas eve and didn't come on for 5 days. We've have had lots of power outages since then and each time threatened to get a generator and always had the same argument "When shall we need it again"

So I made an executive decision and got one

Alan.

Just a tip i think it's best not to run it on E10 petrol. Run it in aspen petrol which is better for the seals carb etc. A available from garden centres mower shops etc. If using it in power cut use E10 but then put in aspen before turning off and putting away.

Others will have more knowledge

Just a thought.

Cheers James

are you feeding the electrics in the house or just using an extension lead?

are you feeding the electrics in the house or just using an extension lead?
We've mounted a 16 amp waterproof socket on the outside of the house opposite where the boiler is sited in a walk in cupboard.

A short 2.5 mil extension cable with double sockets is then threaded through a 20mil pipe that I put in when installing the boiler.
(Our walls are 2 foot thick)

This cable was then wired into the 16 amp socket.
When required an extension cable is run from the generator in the workshop ( 15 mts.) to the 16 amp socket.

Inside, the boiler is plugged into the extension lead and a multi extension is plugged in to feed the television,
Sky Q, Broadband router and a table lamp.
The generator is rated 2,800 watt. so plenty of capacity.

Alan

I was thinking you could back feed the house electrics, provided you break the infeed cable through the fuse box. That way you don't have to unplug stuff.

I was thinking you could back feed the house electrics, provided you break the infeed cable through the fuse box. That way you don't have to unplug stuff.
To be honest I had never considered that option. When I installed the central heating I always assumed that at some stage I would get a generator and connect it as I have now done .That is why after excavating a hole through
2 foot of rock wall to install the flue I put in a pipe to outside to be able to feed a cable through.

Alan

The cable through the wall is a good idea. If I see a small generator I might do the same. The boiler internet a light and TV is good. Maybe freezer as well if it will take it

Keep meaning to buy one of the small Honda genny's. We had one on my mates boat and it was a handy bit of kit.
Not that i actually need one,nor have up to a grand to spend on a whim like purchase, but its such a handy practical thing that draws me to it.

Inside, the boiler is plugged into the extension lead and a multi extension is plugged in to feed the television,
Sky Q, Broadband router and a table lamp.
The generator is rated 2,800 watt. so plenty of capacity.
For low power equipment, absolutely, but you only have 11A total so considerably less than one regular mains socket.

I obviously don’t know the maximum power draw of your boiler but depending on the fuel it uses it could be drawing quite a few amps. So “plenty of capacity”?

We have power outages almost on a weekly basis either the national grid or the local council. I've invested in a 5kva genny which I coupled below the main incomer on my distribution board. Isolate the main incomer and run the whole house (except the water heater). Installed a pilot light above the main incomer to let me know when grid power is back on. Africa is not for the the faint hearted!

I thought aspen was a tree? What's different to 'ordinary' petrol please?

Very pure with few additives. I use it to run my Coleman camping stove and lamp which get clogged using pump fuel.
it is getting expensive though at about £5/litre (I used to pay £16 for 5litres)
Google ‘Aspen 4T’.

You may not be able to run the planer thicknesser with a generator chucking out 5-10 amps, but with a bit of thought would provide lighting, TV, communications, central heating controls and pump (gas or oil).

Possibly not all at the same time ...............

Consider chatting to a friendly electrician about running multiple earthed appliances on a portable generator.

Also, if you’re feeding into the house electrics, the earthing needs to be taken into account, and provision made for ensuring you can’t accidentally backfeed into the grid. You could give a lineman a nasty jolt.

Aspen is great stuff although a bit spendy it does not age I use it in 2 stroke machines and they can sit for over a year and always start on the button where as pump fuel would have gone stale. Apparently there can be problems if an older machine that has used pump fuel is put onto Aspen due to seal failure caused by the pump fuel eating away at some materials.

for the last 20 odd years I've always had and often needed a genny......
in France we were 30k's from a NUC power station and still had black outs......!!!!!!!!
Actually I have 2 genny's.....1900w Honda petrol and a 5kw Lister Diesel one...
a wood fired boiler (w/Pump) and a couple of LED lights plus the comp is all that is connected to the genny......dedicated extension leads are in place all the time.....just need to plug in whats nec.....
when the mains lights come back on we just replug into the mains again...no real effort....
as for fuel I just use reg pump fuel and empty the tank and run the carb dry after each use.....
I bought some Swedish Aspen type fuel and it was only rated for 2 seasons.....!!!!!

You may not be able to run the planer thicknesser with a generator chucking out 5-10 amps, but with a bit of thought would provide lighting, TV, communications, central heating controls and pump (gas or oil).

Possibly not all at the same time ...............
No I've no intention of using anything other than the television, heating, & lights. If I went to use any tools my wife would probably want to use the washing machine & cooker .
Consider chatting to a friendly electrician about running multiple earthed appliances on a portable generator.

Also, if you’re feeding into the house electrics, the earthing needs to be taken into account, and provision made for ensuring you can’t accidentally backfeed into the grid. You could give a lineman a nasty jolt.
Won't be going into the house electrics, only using an extension lead for t.v. &heating
I hope you mean plug rather than socket as that would mean the cable from genny to house is plug to plug aka widowmaker
Yes, sorry I did mean plug. I've also run an earth lead from the earth stud on the generator to an earth spike.

The total loading will be less than 500 watts. LPG boiler rated 60 watt ,Pump 60watt T.V another 60 watt and the side table lamp 20 watts.

Alan

Yes- running extension cords is fine, just never use a 'plug to plug' lead like some do (hell they even sell them on amazon in the US)

(you are supposed to plug one end in the genny and the other into a wall outlet or drier socket in the house... oh and remember to turn off the main house breaker 'for safety'
:-O

Commonly referred to as 'widow makers' or 'suicide cords' and they certainly live up to their name...
(For those who have no idea what we are talking about- this is a 'widowmaker')
Screenshot from 2021-10-06 03-36-01.png

This one is sold in the US- 'drier to generator' (No earth!!!- thats neutral, 120 line 1 and 120v line 2...)
Screenshot from 2021-10-06 03-36-38.png

Obvious to see why they are so bloody dangerous!!!!
Mains off and genny running, unplug the house end and exposed live connectors!!!
mains on genny end live!!!!
These rely on people not only remembering to turn off their 'main switch', but connecting and disconnecting in a specific sequence... mess it up and genny goes boom, or people die if they grab an energised plug....
And they sell them in shops and online...

Last edited:
Back