Problems buying chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
Early in December decided to try my hand at wood carving. Had a quick look on ebay and decided that it was not much more expensive to buy new and at least you could pick and chose which ones you want. So placed an order for 5 chisels with a well known British chisel maker for them. When they finally arrived, one had gone out of stock and not available, one they had supplied a totally different chisel on approval ( no reason given presumably that was out of stock too), and a third one was a completely different chisel than the one I ordered and to that on the invoice. It was obviously not the right one as the sweep is etched onto the chisel and was a totally different number!
Rang customer services, unfortunately no one available, leave a message and we'll get back to you ... no one did.
Sent the a text message which also went unanswered for a few days. Eventually sorted. Early January ordered two more chisels. After a week with no message to say dispatched or whatever, rang customer services, they will look into it and lo and behold they arrive a couple of days later. Two chisels, both different from the ones ordered, again one on approval no reason given, totally different to the one ordered and another different to the one on the invoice, again! Neither of the chisels were what I wanted (or anywhere near). By now totally miffed rang customer service, again unavailable to take your call and no one got back. So dispatched the chisels back with a letter of complaint asking for a refund which I am pleased to say was at least given promptly. By now a month has gone by and still not in possession of few chisels I can try my hand with. Went to a different supplier (G & S Timber supplies in Penrith) and ordered Pfeil chisel. They were so helpful on the phone and the chisels arrived within 3 days! The difference between two customer service experiences was amazing and guess who will be getting my business in the future. Anyone had a similar experience?

The two well known British carving tools makers are Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles...

Their websites suggest they don't supply direct, or maybe they do. If not then the problem is to do with the retailer, and it does sound like terrible service!

I get the impression both Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles are quite small operations, and a lot of their tools are made to order. Their list of stockists only seem to have a few tools listed on their websites. Pfeil, in contrast seems to be much bigger.

Toolnut.co.uk appear to have a good range of both British makes. At least what I've been looking for they've had in stock. Prices are pretty competitive from what I've been looking at too - I've just ordered a mallet from them which they have in stock and was cheaper than the exact same on Axminister (who were out of stock). FWIW, I've no link to Toolnut other than being a [relatively new to carving too] happy customer :)

My carving chisels are a mix of Ashley Isles, Kirschen and old stuff picked up from various private sales over the years. The ones to go to first are the Ashley Isles as they do a great range of fish tails which are so useful. My one gripe is the ferrules have not lasted and have split.

Back