Problem with Charnwood Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-THFC

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here.

I have a Charnwood Planer Thicknesser and i have a big problem with it which i cant seem to rectify.

When i plane a piece of wood, it leaves ridges at each end of the plank, about 50mm in at each end.

At first i thought it was a problem with the fold down extentions on each side. I tried to level them out as best i could but i could never completely get rid of the ridges it was leaving. Its doing my head in. :evil:

Thanks in advance.
Steve

If it does this when thicknessing it could be table rollers if it has them or the table rocking on its column due to poor machining or failure to lock it securely.

If it does this when surfacing, I have never encountered this at both ends, but it would be worth checking the knife settings.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. :D

What you describe is known as snipe. Adjusting the machine to stop it can be a problem. Its caused by the timber moving as the ends pass on or off of the feed rollers. Setting the extensions at the correct height should help but you may find you need to provide extra support for long lengths.

One simple solution is to machine timber 4" longer than needed and then trim to the required size but that I know is not always possible. :x

Hi steve, welcome to the forum.

Which model p/t do you have?
I have the W582 which has a solid table for the thicknessing operation, ie no extensions and seems to work fine. I do, as just mentioned try to thickness and plane before final dimensioning just to be on the safe side.
If you have fold down extension tables make sure they are perfectly level to one another and support pieces that are longer than the outfeed table.

Cheers
Julian

Latest posts

Back