problem with built ins??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
having just removed a couple of ancient mfi type wardrobes, i noticed that i seem to have a world record supply of cobwebs behind them.

so i wondered whether anyone else has thought about either keeping spiders away from the back of cupboards, or cleaning up once the cupboards are in place??

as i get older, i seem to be more allergic to dust etc, so whilst doing something about sawdust, i am also trying to cut down on the cobwebs too.

just thought i'd ask :twisted: :lol:

paul :wink:

before i have played with them???? :twisted:
and do they need string :lol:

no seriously, i have never heard before that chestnuts will scare of spiders
doyou have actual experience with this????

thanks

now i must go scrumping conkers :oops: :roll:

Argee":27csr45b said:
Put a couple of conkers in the affected corners - problem over. :)
Really? :shock: More info please, Ray :D

Cheers,
Neil (co-habiting with at least 1000 spiders :evil:)

<edit> its OK, just googled. Well, I never knew that - have to give it a try

I've no idea whether conkers scare off spiders, as I've yet to have a meaningful conversation with one. However, a while ago I decorated a lounge and hallway for a friend's sister and discovered conkers in the corners. Naturally, being a nosey person, I enquired and was told that they eliminate spiders.

In all the time I was there, I never saw one. I've now got conkers in relevant places in my home and I've not seen any spiders this season either. Does it work, or is it co-incidence? Well, I wouldn't have posted it if I thought that it didn't work!

It seems to be down to the smell that conkers emit. Whether this, in turn, means that you need to replace the conkers after a bit, I've no idea.

Ray.

Just one thing, once the spiders are gone what do you do to get rid of the fies? :wink:

well thanks for the tip, as for getting rid of the flies as long as i don't have to swallow a cat to chase the spider etc life should be ok.

actually touch wood(oops sorry) this year in my part of the uk they seem
less than before except those little black bug**rs :twisted:

Thanks, Ray - I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheers,
Neil

I remember visiting an very old wooden roofed building quite a few years ago and the guide explained that the roof (inside) was made of chestnut which was natural spider repellant.

Andy

Hi Paul

I will say it very carefully, because I know that many people will not agree with me.

Before installing the cabinets in the kitchen, bathroom or toilet, I'm painting the wall with special 'Kitchen and Bathroom paint", than, I'm installing the cabinets.

I don't have any back on the cabinets, when you open the door you see the wall (but I "iron on" the edges also on the back side).

On the lower cabinets, I seal around (from inside) with thin strip of "Kitchen and Bathroom silicon".

Before I install the upper cabinets, I put the Marble on top of the lower units and on the wall (not me, the company). Once they finish, I have a level line of 30 mm thick marble, The upper units are installed "sitting" on the marble, and supported by 2 angle irons, one from each side, and silicon the upper side.

I know that it's not normal but nor am I.

Regards

K1.jpg

Niki":31d2oec7 said:
I don't have any back on the cabinets, when you open the door you see the wall (but I "iron on" the edges also on the back side).
All I can say to that, Niki, is that you're lucky to have flat walls - the walls in many older houses (especially mine, but I do live on a steep hill) are far from straight so a false back is the only way to go. Backs in cabinets do, however, serve to keep the carcass square which isn't always a bad thing

Scrit

i'm with you scrit, i prefer all my cabinets to have backs, makes them neater, and ensures that bits don't fall down the back :lol: :lol:

but as usual niki your work is interesting and clever.
thanks for sharing

Sorry, Scrit and Paul
I did not think about wavy walls.

I do install backs on all the other "stand alone" cabinets but not for the kitchen or bathroom that they are attached to the wall, and will never move.

With my method, I don't need (and I don't want) to keep the cabinet square before installation.

I install the first cabinet on the floor base (that is leveled) or on the vertical Marble (as in the picture), I support it with the car jack, and I check the vertical wall of the cabinet with a level, and screw it to the wall with the angle irons.
Then, I install the door on this cabinet and check if it is square to the cabinet. If it's not, I release the screws a little bit and move the cabinet to square it with the door.

To install the rest of the cabinets, it's just a matter of screwing one to the other and it gives me a nice straight line and very easy adjustment of the doors.

Ah, all those amateurs...

Regards
niki

a quick question niki, why don't you want the cabinet square before installation?

Hi Senior
Because, if the squaring will not be 100% square (and I know that it will not, in my case) I will not be able to correct it during the installation.

I prefer to square it to the door. IMO, more important than "square" is what the eye sees.

niki

but if you cut your doors square then wheres the problem, and if you don't cut your doors square its impossible to square up a 2 door unit!!!

In theory, if all the plates are square and the edges are at 90*, when I screw the Confirmat screws the carcass should be square.
But in reality, it's not, and I'm ordering the plates from the company that has this huge panel saw, and still, I find some differences in width or deviation from 90*.

To square it, I need to make a special construction that will hold it square during the back installation (and I do it for stand alone furniture). But the main issue is that I don't like backs on kitchen cabinets.

IMO, the doors, that are one unit (one plate) are much more square than a 4 walls carcass can be.

In my experience, I cannot make 5 or 7 units that all of them will be square like in a drawing, always, I have some small deviations from perfect square and I can see some gaps when I put all the units together without screwing them one to the other.

Again this is my opinion and I made it like that on 3 kitchens and a few bathrooms and toilets and it works for me very well.

niki

Back