Problem getting Metabo HC260C running - won't switch on

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently bought a planer/thicknesser - Metabo HC260C - and have been putting it together.

Just tried it in planing mode and can't seem to get it to work, then just tried thicknesser mode and again not working.

Right pain and I feel stupid! What am I doing wrong?

I've checked the fuse in the plug (it's 240v rather than site voltage) and that's fine.
The NVR switch looks like it's a sealed unit so not going to mess with that....
I've tried turning it on with both microswitches in all kinds of on/off configurations but still not working....

What am I doing wrong?! Probably something very obvious but can't see the woods for the trees.

Thanks for any help.
Ed

There are three micro switches, make sure they are all in the correct position

Thanks for the tips - three microswitches? I only found 2 - one on the top by the right hand lever for attaching the planer plate and the second one inside the thicknesser table which is activated by the dust insert.

Have had both of these on/off // off/off // on/on etc etc but still no luck.

Have contacted the company I bought it off but will have another look tonight - all very frustrating!
Thanks,
Ed

I have to tighten the thicknessing bed quite tightly onto the dust chute to ensure the microswitch is engaged.

Is it brand new, or pre-used?

The reason I ask is that things sometimes go "out of whack" in use. if pre-used the last operator may know the particular "knack" of getting things to work. If it's new it may just be b******d, it's not unheard of for that to happen!

Right - have taken the covers off the micro switches and have set up the machine for planing. When I test the microswitches with a circuit tester they both register a current.

This means that the circuit is enabled and the machine should work.

I've taken the cover off the bottom of the motor and have looked at the wires and double checked the connections - they all look fine but I don't know if I can test these with a circuit tester.

I've tested the mains cable and this is fine too - get a circuit on live and neutral.

Soooo... the issue is either with the NVR or the actual motor I guess.

The NVR looks like it is a sealed unit.

Any help appreciated!

The company who sold it to me just said read the manual again....

Hi Roger - yes it's brand new from Toolbox - it arrived undamaged so I accepted it then had other stuff going on in my life so only set it up a few weeks later.

Hi Mike - no, no hum at all... every time I go for the green start button there is a moment when I think 'this time!' but nothing happening at all.... really really frustrating - have just emailed Metabo direct....

Next stop I guess is asking a friendly electrician to take a look at it.

EdK":1ya3bdol said:
Hi Roger - yes it's brand new from Toolbox - it arrived undamaged so I accepted it then had other stuff going on in my life so only set it up a few weeks later.

Hi Mike - no, no hum at all... every time I go for the green start button there is a moment when I think 'this time!' but nothing happening at all.... really really frustrating - have just emailed Metabo direct....

If the company said read the manual, and you've read it again and it still doesn't work, then I would think they need to do something about it. You shouldn't need to have an electrician to look at it unless who-ever sold it to you is going to pay for his time. Maybe phone them up and if you can get the phone to where the machine is, ask them to talk you through the process for it to work. If it works, problem solved. If not they should replace it or give you your money back.

EdK":279hfw2r said:

I took it for granted that it was a second hand machine but if it is only a few weeks old then Toolbox should be helping you a hell of a lot more and you have every right to send it back. Metabo are a pretty good company and may very help you but in the end your contract is with Toolbox.

Cheers

Mike

EdK":24e9lik6 said:
Right - have taken the covers off the micro switches and have set up the machine for planing. When I test the microswitches with a circuit tester they both register a current.

This means that the circuit is enabled and the machine should work.

I've taken the cover off the bottom of the motor and have looked at the wires and double checked the connections - they all look fine but I don't know if I can test these with a circuit tester.

I've tested the mains cable and this is fine too - get a circuit on live and neutral.

Soooo... the issue is either with the NVR or the actual motor I guess.

The NVR looks like it is a sealed unit.

Any help appreciated!

The company who sold it to me just said read the manual again....

I take it you are just using a resistance check when you are checking continuity.

You need to be checking Voltage with a suitable test meter along the supply chain to find out how far it is getting through, sounds very much that the feed is not getting to the NVR, therefore a safety micro switch is the most likely problem, just because a resistance circuit test says it's contacts are making and braking when you push it does not mean that it is made when the guards etc are in place.
If all safety switches are made then you should have power at the NVR input.

EdK, I'm a little bit confused on your use of the term 'current' with your testing. Do you mean voltage? What do you mean by a 'circuit tester'?

Do you have access to anything that can measure continuity? When all your microswitches are 'energised' (ie whatever it is that physically moves them to say it is safe for the motor to start) can you measure a low resistance across the circuit that is (I am assuming) made by all three microswitches ...if that makes sense?

Your NVR switch...how is that wired in? Is it a case where the mains comes in, goes to the three microswitches and then to the NVR switch which then feeds the motor(s)? Or does the mains go directly to the NVR and then the output from the NVR goes via the micro-switches to power the motors ?

If your NVR switch is powered straight from the mains then you should hear the relay inside go click or thunk (any sort of noise really) when you push the Start button. It then should make another noise when you hit Stop. NB this only is true if the mains goes directly to the NVR switch and that any microswitches are after the NVR. Of course, it is perfectly feasible that some microswitches are before the NVR switch and some after...just to spice things up. It would be helpful if you were able to tell us what the sequence of connections is....

eg Mains > NVR > MS1 > MS2 > MS3 > motor

All safety switches SHOULD BE before the NVR to prevent something starting up just because someone leaned on a guard or poked a bit of debris out of the way.

Note I said should be, there's no guarantee that is so of course.

Kris":djyk157u said:
I have to tighten the thicknessing bed quite tightly onto the dust chute to ensure the microswitch is engaged.
On the machine in my sons workshop in Germany (don't know which model) I seem to remember some switch contact pins were adjustable in length.

CHJ":2m0kzpvo said:
Kris":2m0kzpvo said:
On the machine in my sons workshop in Germany (don't know which model) I seem to remember some switch contact pins were adjustable in length.

Bang on, Chas. Taken from the manual...

Contact pins of outfeed table or dust chute have not engaged in the limit switch. − Correctly install outfeed table or
dust chute, respectively. If neces- sary, adjust contact pins.

Spoke to Graham from Metabo who was very helpful - ran over all the things that might stop the machine from working (has to be plugged into mains socket rather than extension / mains cable into NVR is bi-directional but in some cases only works in one orientation / 3rd microswitch can have excess grease on it - it's under the black plastic cover opposite the NVR switch) ... still didn't work.
Got an electrician to take a look and all wiring working fine - he couldn't access the NVR as it is a sealed unit - finally he tapped the green on button with the handle of a screwdriver and a mallet ... worked !
Finally!
So my current way of using it is to turn it on with a mallet and screwdriver. You simply cannot turn it on just with a thumb.
Anyway thanks for the advice - have contacted the sellers and Metabo to try and get a new NVR from them.
Ed

Back