Pro tools and what we buy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all, I got to wondering if the tools I buy are the same as what the pro's use. Is there a differance, most of what I have are Sorby With a few Henry Taylor in all about 20 tools bought in Turning shops. Do the Pros. get their tools from the factories or are they same as I get.
If anyone knows I would like to know too, I should add I bought a couple of the Crown Pro-pm which I think take a better edge and do seem to last longer between sharpening ,The only fault I find with them is that they are too long, but I hope to get used to them. But Is there a them and us in Turning tools. Regards Boysie.

Hi Boysie 39.

I am a pro woodturner of 10 years there is no them and us when it comes to tools . I use all sorts Sorby HSS/ Hamlet ASP HSS 2060/ and Glazier from America A11 and A16 Steel. THe 2030/2060 are the same as the Pro PM you have and the A11/A16 are one step up from them. I tend to use the 2030/2060 on normal work and the A11/A16 on burrs but I also use the A11 which has a long grind on it most days it is a lovely tool to use it has a red ali handle filled with lead shot. You were saying that the handles are a bit on the long side keep the handle close to the side of your body to give you more stability and move your hand up the shaft a bit . The other way to get over the length is to use it more then you will have to sharpen it more and you will find it will get shorter. :D :D . I have two sayings ONE buy the best tools you can and TWO He with the most tools dies last. Charles RPT BIPP.

I'll add my twopen'orth to what Charles has said, I've never been aware of us/them or pro/am tools.
Occasionally you'll come across certain named tools (Eli Aversera for exampe) which either pro or am can buy.

When it comes to buying tools I have a different maxim, apart from the basic tools viz. spindle and bowl gouges and of course, everyone's favourite, the skew :wink: ...buy or make a cheap tool and if you find you use it a lot then buy a decent one...

You might make a few more visits to the grindstone with carbon or standard HSS but @ less than 30secs to sharpen it's really no hassle :wink:

If you use a skew frequently you could emulate Allan Batty and have a leather strop (charged with a suitable dressing) hanging from your waist 8)

Hi Boysie,

As long as you are buying tools of comparitivly the same price ie: a bowl gouge from Henry Taylor/Ashley Isles/Hamlet/Sorby etc etc for around £25 - £30 you are buying professional quality tools. It is only when you get these "turning tool sets" which either come free with cheaper lathes or on market stalls where you pay about £5, where there is a real quality difference, but anyone that has handled a "proper" tool will know the difference straight away!!

There are those that say you should start with cheapo tools until you get to grips with sharpening and cutting correctly etc but I wonder if it is false economy and really puts the beginner at a disadvantage by using poor quality tools??

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hello Boysie.
I'm no pro,just a beginner but I think if you get to some shows,r even on DVDs you will see that most if not all the turners turning are using tools that we can all buy.
Some might make or have made for them some gouges tools etc to suit what they need,but i think the majority is what you or i can buy.

I was given some really cheap tools when I first started. Took three weeks for the roughing gouge to bend at right angle.... 8-[ I have also got one or two old carbon steel skews that are really good though they do need sharpening a bit more often. From what I have seen of the pros at shows etc they all use the same sort of tools and the wide variety of makes as the amateurs. Biggest problem with tools is in getting carried away and buying tools that you never use.

Pete

Thanks to all for your replys, I am very new to turning and just wondered were there tools that the Pro's use that one would have to "serve your time" to use. I should not have made it seem as a them and us situation, totally wrong phrasing sorry if it offended anyone.Its just that I would not expect Pro's or Top turners to be able to use tools the way I can, :lol: Maybe one day I'll reveil all. :wink: In the meantime keep posting your problems and ideas and I will watch out in case you need expert advice.
i'm getting there, . If any of you want to know what you do with a piece of Burr why dont you ask, I will keep an eye on the answers. Regards Boysie

There's a certain stone down Cork way... been there lately Boysie :lol:

Thanks Graham, I thought I may Have over stepped the line , which would never be intended,It's just my sense of humor I'm glad you have sussed me out. I really love and depend on this forum for my education in woodturning I have learned more in the past few months than I could ever have hoped for.I'm trying to get involved in a club but as yet after 6mts. of trying nobody has returned calls. I wonder has my rep. got there before me.
Not to worry I have everything a turner should have a Lathe, 21 tools all different and as much Wood than I can ever use, so who cares about lessons . Thanks again Post plenty of pictures I'll learn Regards Boysie

More power to your elbow Boysie be it turning or the black stuff (the one with the cream on, not the Macadam :lol: )

If you can get lessons or join a club then I reckon it'd be good but it's not necessary. A lot of the major names in turning are self taught. Like you most of my 'education' has come via this forum & it's members. If you want to have people give advice re design etc put a piece up for critique. Members are more likely to give positive criticism if it is invited. Also, there are a number of Irish members on the forum, would it be worth setting up a bash amongst yourselves.

Pete

Boysie.
If you are thinking of coming over here to a show than i would suggest coming to Westonbirt.Plenty of turners and other crafts.Well worth the visit.

Paul J, that looks to be the Bee's knees, Time is Perfect a couple of days there and down to London for a week or so ,I'll be happy and the Loved one will be delighted,"because I'm happy of course" May even do it London first and stop off for a few days on the way to Fishguard.
Thanks for the reminder will get on to Ferry co. tomorrow. Thanks Paul watch out for my Green suit. Regards Boysie.

Back