Printing a scale to scale !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have made some decimal rulers from 1 to 250mm from left to right and one with a zero center which i thought would be handy for a jig I am making.
I set the printer to Landscape first.

I have followed the instructions on sketchup help and switched from perpective view and into a top view.
centered the rules on screen and tried printing at a 1:1 scale.

Well I'm completely confused as it just wont work!
I set the 'fit to page' option off and set the scale in the printout and in sketchup to 1mm
this sets the page size to seemingly random numbers.
if I set these to 210mm by 297mm which is A4 size (which is also set in my printer)it all goes to pot
as I change the page width size the scale changes and so does the height page size !!

I cant set the page size and the scale to 1:1 at all so of course the printout is terrible and spread over 4 pages.

what is going on and how do i get round this please?
Oh I tried setting and unsetting 'use model extents' but this didn't change the outcome.

thanks

Mike

Mike:

I can't help with Sketchup, since I haven't used it much. However, if you can export the view to a .jpg file, you should be able to open it with a photo editor, print a native copy, then measure the actual size. After that, scale the jpg to compensate for the distance you're off, and print again. I've done this with a couple of scales I wanted to print onto decals, and it worked reasonably well.

Kirk

Mike,

Have you used Zoom Extents to fill the drawing window with the model? You may need to change the aspect ratio of the drawing drawing window to get it to work perfectly but it can be done. If you e-mail the file to me, I can make you a PDF file to scale quite easily.

FWIW, this printing to scale thing seems to come up somewhat frequently. While it can be done in SketchUp, it is much easier to do in LayOut. I expect it's going to continue that way down the road, too.

Dave R":2gsf3tuf said:
Mike,

Have you used Zoom Extents to fill the drawing window with the model? You may need to change the aspect ratio of the drawing drawing window to get it to work perfectly but it can be done. If you e-mail the file to me, I can make you a PDF file to scale quite easily.

FWIW, this printing to scale thing seems to come up somewhat frequently. While it can be done in SketchUp, it is much easier to do in LayOut. I expect it's going to continue that way down the road, too.

Thanks Dave
If you can tell me how to attach it to a PM I will send it to you.

thanks

Mike

paultnl":33r3zckn said:
A quick visit to Ikea would get you some preprinted paper tape measures for your jig. They give them away :)
I think my nearest IKEA is abou 100 miles lol
Never been though

Mike

Sketchup 1:1 scale printing works for me with follow set-up:

- Camera > Parallel Projection

- Camera > Zoom Extents

- Print Setup > Properties > Effects > Fit to page :
UNCHECK “Print Document On”
100 % of Normal Size

- Print Menu > Print Size >
UNCHECK Fit to page
UNCHECK Use model extents
SCALE In the printout 1
SCALE In Sketchup 1

Hopefully these settings arent too printer specific, maybe they also work for your printer..

Latest posts

Back