Printer Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argee

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My friend has a Lexmark P706 (USB Inkjet) printer, which was fine until recently. Now, it will not print at all - not even a test page - and the power switch flashes (flash, flash-flash, repeat). This occurs even if the USB cable is not connected (indicating a printer-borne fault rather than a software fault, IMO). Sending a print request to the printer when it is switched off brings it on-line, but it immediately reverts to the condition described and a "Not Connected" or "Cartridge Problem" error box appears, neither of which is correct.

I've installed the latest driver, uninstalled and re-installed, replaced the USB cable (to eliminate it), removed and re-fitted the cartridges, all to no avail. The manual says that the flashing power switch light indicates "The print cartridge carrier is stalled."

Anyone got this printer / experienced this problem / know of a solution?

TIA! :)

Ray.

Argee wrote:
cleaned the carrier bar and lightly lubed it, cleaned and lubed the print head cleaner carriage.

Ray - as a matter of interest, what/how did you clean the printer bits and what did you use for a lubricant, something like WD40 maybe? (Just so if my current printer goes AWOL, I got a possible line of attack) - Rob

woodbloke":ixidll45 said:
Ray - as a matter of interest, what/how did you clean the printer bits and what did you use for a lubricant, something like WD40 maybe? (Just so if my current printer goes AWOL, I got a possible line of attack) - Rob
I used isopropyl alcohol (Boots sell it), which is a good all-purpose gubbins cleaner. Applied via lint-free cloth or cotton bud (although you need care with buds around those tiny cogs that frequent the insides of practically everything nowadays). Make sure that the clear plastic encoder strip IS clear whilst you're at it (i.e., not covered with ink splashes/smudges, etc.), this seems to be a positional register for the print head.

The lube was just a hint (more like a smell, really) of light machine oil.

HTH :)

Ray.

Latest posts

Back