Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just fitted a front door frame today and got asked to price the porch and windows . The windows have already gone to another company but i was £7000 cheaper . :shock: Ive got the porch !
I just wondered what you guys think is a good price . Heres another job i have to price
doorset.jpg

It will make no difference to my price but what would you guys say a good price is to copy the above .

£7000 less and they didn't use you, whats the matter, have you got 3 legs and curly teeth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only joking jason

:lol: They had already paid for the windows before i went to look at the door frame . I think the poor sod is sitting at home tonight very peed off .

JFC - Whilst I can't even guess what you should be charging I remember a shopkeeper friend telling me a story once. He had acquired a batch of quality jeans and he put them on sale at £15, and was more than happy with the margin that gave him, but they wouldn't shift. Eventually, as an experiment, he repriced them at £30 and they sold out within a few days. It's all in the perception of what represents value for money.

Amazing isnt it , people think they are getting something better if they pay more money . :shock:

Price yourself as you would want to be priced. Are you good? Is the work good? Do you value your work and will you reasonably warranty it?

If it's all YES - then charge accordingly. People will pay for what they perceive as good value. You'll lose some but you'll gain more. Keep your standards high (and prices accordingly) and you'll make a good living.

Only you can judge your quality and standards!

Jason
Crack this and you can give up working! Write the definitive book on the subject and get rich!

My approach on a project like this would be look at material cost and include in your costings the cost of funding of the purchase if it is a project where you do not get paid straight away.
Add in your labour, do not forget travelling time etc. Add it all up and look long and hard at the end number.

Then add in some extra if you think there is room, then you have some margin for negiotiating if required. It is easy to reduce your price but very hard to get people to pay more once you have quoted.

I work in an area where money is tight - and so are the customers! The average wage is only really (ignore the cr*p official statistics) about 10 - 11K.

Until recently I was charging just £80 per day.

I tried an experiment. I put my prices upto between £110 and £120 a day and my employee up to £65 a day.

I am now fully booked until at least the middle of Feb.

Perhaps I was too cheap before...?

Admittedly we are gaining due to a huge engineering project down here which has helped everyone, but even so, I do now thgink you can undervalue yourself. Though by £7000???

Mark.

Back