Price enquiry please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caroleb

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a door fitting. I have the UPVC door, I need to cut through a cavity wall below a window, involving cutting back past the required width for the door, and removing the window. Then the area will need bricking up, around the door - a lintel put in for the inside wall and the outside wall, all making good and then the door fitting. The door is 880mm wide, in the frame, and the piece of wall that needs cutting out is about 1500 wide. So approx 700mm brickwork. One and half bricks one side and two or three the other. Bricks need tying in to existing brickwork and area above door also needs bricking up. DPM and so on. Door to be fixed on a stone step and mortared in etc etc. Expanding foam around. 8 courses of bricks above the lintel to fill in where the old window was, the window was 1500 wide also.

OK, I know this is an ask, but I am in trouble because the prices I have been given vary so much. Can anyone give me a rough idea of labour charges for a job like this?

Thanks anyway - I know this is a bit of a silly question - I am sorry. Never had to deal with anything like this before by myself. #-o

Best wishes

Caz

Hi Caz

It's the sort of work I do but I wouldn't give a cost without actually inspecting the job in person. I wouldn't fit a PVCu door anyway unless I was supplying it.

The best advice I can give is make sure the guys are quoting exactly like for like and no corners cut. Get someone on recommendation if possible and if you aren't quite sure about someone, go with your gut feeling and don't use them. If it doesn't feel right, it rarely is.

Why do you need new lintels? The existing window will have lintel / lintels already in place and if the door is being fitted into that space, they can be left in situ. Unless of course they are exposed and you want them removed for appearance.

Bob

caroleb":3nln4bj1 said:
I need a door fitting. I have the UPVC door, I need to cut through a cavity wall below a window, involving cutting back past the required width for the door, and removing the window. Then the area will need bricking up, around the door - a lintel put in for the inside wall and the outside wall, all making good and then the door fitting. The door is 880mm wide, in the frame, and the piece of wall that needs cutting out is about 1500 wide. So approx 700mm brickwork. One and half bricks one side and two or three the other. Bricks need tying in to existing brickwork and area above door also needs bricking up. DPM and so on. Door to be fixed on a stone step and mortared in etc etc. Expanding foam around. 8 courses of bricks above the lintel to fill in where the old window was, the window was 1500 wide also.

OK, I know this is an ask, but I am in trouble because the prices I have been given vary so much. Can anyone give me a rough idea of labour charges for a job like this?

Thanks anyway - I know this is a bit of a silly question - I am sorry. Never had to deal with anything like this before by myself. #-o

Best wishes

Caz

£400 ish minimum depending on what's involved with the lintels (Labour only). Bear in mind I am in the North and prices are higher in the south. What have you been quoted?

£400 ish minimum depending on what's involved with the lintels (Labour only). Bear in mind I am in the North and prices are higher in the south. What have you been quoted?

That sounds a bit cheap Graham. Quite a lot of work in there and I would assume it needs plastering internally as well - 3 to 4 days at a guess. So I'd be estimating £600 - 800 based on info supplied. ( I said I wouldn't give a figure #-o )
Just realised the lintels are needed to carry the 8 course brickwork over the doors, (must learn to read properly). :oops:

Caz

I would think building regs are required. Have you checked?

Bob

Lons":3mit28kx said:

That sounds a bit cheap Graham. Quite a lot of work in there and I would assume it needs plastering internally as well - 3 to 4 days at a guess. So I'd be estimating £600 - 800 based on info supplied. ( I said I wouldn't give a figure #-o )
Just realised the lintels are needed to carry the 8 course brickwork over the doors, (must learn to read properly). :oops:

Caz

I would think building regs are required. Have you checked?

Bob

You're right. I forgot the plastering. Impossible to say really without looking at the job. Ithink £7-900 would be a safer bet.

Thanks Guys, that does help somewhat. The lintel is indeed to support the bricks over the door. I guess my description leaves a little to be desired, but this isn't really my bag at all (it doesn't have leaves and grain).
There is quite a lot of brickwork involved, blockwork inside, brick outside. Up to about 8 ft. As I said, about 500mm one side and maybe a brick and a half wide the other. The brickwork has to tied in (stitched?) to match existing, rather than use a starter thingy (the metal thing with bits that slide down into the mortar to tie in) which is not acceptable outside where it is visible.

I think if I could get it done for £400 I would be VERY happy. The window that exists above the proposed door needs removing (crittle style) and it'll need three lintels to properly finish it all off nicely. The bricks are Heathers, so not the same size as the existing imperials, so that needs sorting too. Maybe a thicker bed of mortar?

Guys, I thank you for your help.

Best wishes all

Caz

i would look for some reclamed imperial bricks- using heathers and a extra wide mortar joint will look a like pile of dung!

marcros":3rmug628 said:
i would look for some reclamed imperial bricks- using heathers and a extra wide mortar joint will look a like pile of dung!

+1

Plenty available but also check with the brick merchants as there are some bricks still made to match the old 9 x 3 size. Whether you can match the colour is something else but better than massive beds

Bob

caroleb":2axbt108 said:
Thanks Guys, that does help somewhat. The lintel is indeed to support the bricks over the door. I guess my description leaves a little to be desired, but this isn't really my bag at all (it doesn't have leaves and grain).
There is quite a lot of brickwork involved, blockwork inside, brick outside. Up to about 8 ft. As I said, about 500mm one side and maybe a brick and a half wide the other. The brickwork has to tied in (stitched?) to match existing, rather than use a starter thingy (the metal thing with bits that slide down into the mortar to tie in) which is not acceptable outside where it is visible.

I think if I could get it done for £400 I would be VERY happy. The window that exists above the proposed door needs removing (crittle style) and it'll need three lintels to properly finish it all off nicely. The bricks are Heathers, so not the same size as the existing imperials, so that needs sorting too. Maybe a thicker bed of mortar?

Guys, I thank you for your help.

Best wishes all

Caz

A couple pf pictures would help :)

as a quick comparison I am having a similar job done this week. window into a door, door into a window.
I have a price of 1100 quid which includes the new window and door and all making good.
hth
nev

As Lons says..building control will need to be involved. Otherwise when you come to sell your house you might have problems.

I am assuming also that it is not listed.

Make sure whoever does the job will remove from site all the old window, bricks and stuff.

When they cut through the bricks, it IS going to get dusty. Very dusty inside your room. And if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction then the rest of your house.

Back