Lintel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
Please don’t shout at me. Twenty years ago we put every penny we had into reglazing our house in shiny plastic double glazing. When the fitter ripped out the upstairs back window he also accidentally ripped out the rotten lintel. More accurately it fell out as it was only held in by the window. I quickly ran down to my wood pile, grabbed and cut timber to the same dimensions as the old lintel and rammed it in place. Absolutely no way we could fund a Catnic or similar. The bodge is now showing signs of stress (cracks in plaster, suggestions of a bow developing in centre of the window. So, what is the correct way to replace a timber lintel in an early 20th century terrace supporting a stone and rubble infill wall, the outer course being supported by a shallow pitch brick arch? The opening is 48” wide 10” deep

Use acro props with stronboys to support the wall above the lintel.
Remove and replace lintel.
Remove acros.

Please don’t shout at me. Twenty years ago we put every penny we had into reglazing our house in shiny plastic double glazing. When the fitter ripped out the upstairs back window he also accidentally ripped out the rotten lintel. More accurately it fell out as it was only held in by the window. I quickly ran down to my wood pile, grabbed and cut timber to the same dimensions as the old lintel and rammed it in place. Absolutely no way we could fund a Catnic or similar. The bodge is now showing signs of stress (cracks in plaster, suggestions of a bow developing in centre of the window. So, what is the correct way to replace a timber lintel in an early 20th century terrace supporting a stone and rubble infill wall, the outer course being supported by a shallow pitch brick arch? The opening is 48” wide 10” deep
First thing is to uncover it and see what is going on. Send us a photo!
It stayed up in the first place when it was first taken out - you might be able to remove enough masonry from above to get a better lintel in, whilst propping up the brick arch, just in case.

So, what is a better lintel?
Probably same as original but treated and rot cause remedied. Depends on what's above. If it's near the eaves it may not be carrying much and you have the brick arch already.

Why can't you find a suitable Catnic type? There are many sizes and shapes available.
If not then replace with a decent hardwood if possible and for belt and braces support that with a length of 75 or 100mm angle iron, you could rebate that into the wood if necessary.
You would definitely need to support the structure with acrows or substantial alternative, not worth the risk of chancing it imo.

Another thought is that there are various reinforced concrete lintels on the shelf of most builders merchants, I've used those many times as well and they are strong and not too heavy to handle. I used a number on a grade 2 listed stable conversion in multiples to bridge the gap in a 600mm thick stone and rubble wall over a new doorway, similar construction to yours by the sound of it.

Last edited:
Back