Pretend Rosewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to make a stand for the stick in the enclosed picture, it is a Rosewood colour (?) but I doubt it is real Roswood.

What (readily available) timber would you recommend that would match this straight grained stick when stained? and which stain?

Rsm's Pace stick.jpg

This is a Walnut stand I made previosly.
stand.JPG

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Attachments

• Rsm's Pace stick.jpg
    Rsm's Pace stick.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 268
  • stand.JPG
    stand.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 260
Just did some surfing and came up the fact that there is no specified colour. You can make the stand out any nice looking wood, as long as it has the regimental colours on it Google image it and you will see many that just have a badge.

I agree that the stick doesn't look like Rosewood. Rosewood is quite an open grained timber and the stick, not withstanding the low resolution photo, looks tight grained. So my guess is the stick is Beech that's been stained to resemble Rosewood. Consequently I'd suggest following suit and making the stand from Beech, try and avoid Beech that's been cut dead on the quarter, as the little signature flecks on the quarter sawn face of Beech would be a bit of a give away.

What about Ramin? it's light enough so would take a lovely stain and the grain is small and tight with almost no givaway colour deviations. If you can't get any I might even be able to help you out depending on the size of the stand, as I have a stash of it.

I've got some crazy straight grained sapele or mahogany that would be a fine match for that without needing heavy staining.

Brilliant, thanks chaps, hadn't thought about Sapele, There's a place near me that stocks it,, I'm off there today.

Andy

rafezetter":ybil7krv said:
What about Ramin? it's light enough so would take a lovely stain and the grain is small and tight with almost no givaway colour deviations. If you can't get any I might even be able to help you out depending on the size of the stand, as I have a stash of it.

Rafe, I may come back to you for some of that Ramin for a different project.

Andy

There's a long tradition of staining beech to match rosewood - Stanley did this on thousands of plane handles after WWII.

andersonec":2icdbf5t said:
hadn't thought about Sapele, There's a place near me that stocks it,, I'm off there today.

Matching colour is the easy bit, it's matching texture that's tricky. My guess is that the stick is made from Beech, but Sapele (and Mahogany for that matter) are more open grained. Carefully examine the stick, and if the individual grain pores are very indistinct then you'd be better off matching that with a base made from a similarly tight grained timber. Beech is the obvious choice, Ramin would do, as would Maple or Sycamore.

Good luck!

Back