PRE WAR HAND PLANES

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycorleone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,I read that the Record and Stanley pre war hand planes are the best, I know there are a few websites wich detail information about how to identify an old planes, but my question is: in a car boot sale which are the things that you look at in a hand plane to try to buy a pre war one?

I think Bugbear is the man for this, though some hints to start with are the shape of the top of the cutting iron (it differed through the years) the front knob (which was not so high in earlier planes) and the type of frog fitted into it. Can't be more exact than that but I'm sure others could give you 'chapter and verse' - Rob

andycorleone":2et8o1fg said:
Hi,I read that the Record and Stanley pre war hand planes are the best, I know there are a few websites wich detail information about how to identify an old planes, but my question is: in a car boot sale which are the things that you look at in a hand plane to try to buy a pre war one?

Andy, bugbear is your man.

One caveat is that prewar Stanley and Record may be the best Stanley or Records, but not the best planes. I have always found LV, LN, Clifton to be far superior in quality and materials to any of the pre (or post war) stanleys or records I have used.

Andy

I asked a similair question last year regarding Stanley planes, and was given this link by Chris (Waterhead37).

Cheers

Karl

There tends to be more information about old Stanleys than old Records. The older Records had frogs like the one on the right in the picture below

Recordfrogs.jpg

This continued until the late 1960s when they changed to the style on the left.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back