pre-fab workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luketheduke

Reaction score
Im looking at building a workshop in the front garden, around the size of a 3 car garage, im in the early stages, working out if it will actually be feasible or not, obviously with something this size planning and building regs will be needed.

Any ways my main question is this, has anyone had a prefab garage built? i mean like a nice timber frame building, pitched roof timber cladding maybe cedar shingles something like that, not a concrete one.

I could build this all myself but im trying to find wether it would be cheaper overall do get it pre fabricated and then put it together myself. If any one has any experience with this let me know:)

cheers

One thing to be aware of, especially as it will be at the front of your property, is insurance. Insurance companies don't like timber built workshops and load premiums accordingly. From that point of view you can't do better than bricks and mortar.

I think I would be inclined to not mention the word 'workshop'. I'd stick to '3 car garage'. Then just use it as a workshop.

doorframe":1qljbgqd said:
I think I would be inclined to not mention the word 'workshop'. I'd stick to '3 car garage'. Then just use it as a workshop.

+1 As above, definitely a garage. Rodders

As Grayorm says, planning may be an issue if forward of the existing house.

Make sure you factor your neighbours into the workshop - garage - workshop scenario. If you build one thing and use it for another be mindful of how petty people can be.

Also be aware that a 3 car garage will also incur other planning aspects such as suitable vehicle access which they will want to see.- the planning God giveth and he taketh away!

As for the decision to build or buy, all depends on what you ultimately want, however I suspect that your planning dept will dictate what your shop looks like and what its made of, check that first to confirm your next step.

Prefab concrete section 2 car garage here. Insulated and lined with ply. Steel roof with security upgraded by me. Excellent secure workspace.

I had a similar idea 3 or 4 years ago to build a garage of your size in my front garden. My application was refused on the basis that it would obscure views because I had recently removed a 3 meter tall hedge. I later found out that if the hedge remained then there would likely have been little issue and I would now have a front garden "garage"

If for any reason your application is refused then appeal against the decision. Most planning authorities I have found out are 1. Hugely overworked and rather than consider the application on minor builds refuse it in order to meet their time scales. 2. Most authorities are skint and don not relish contesting a minor application in case they lose and are awarded costs.
3. Planning consultants offer their services to minimise the paper work required and are able to argue the case for you.4. Planning legislation is becoming more in favour of the developer, including you as the planning system is seen to hold up development, which this government is keen to bypass in order for large scale building work to commence in quick time as a means of rebooting the economy.

I would advise employing a draftsman or architect to provide some scale drawings for the planning authority to consider. You are more likely to sway them if they can see what the final article will look like.

Good luck with it.

David

Did someone call?

I've just this week submitted for PP.

I have a derelict garage at the bottom of my garden. 7.6m x 6.6 or thereabouts. I'm proposing to knock it down and replace it with a SIP structure (Structural Insulated Panels) 8x8. I've been quoted about 8.5K for it, plus 3.5 for building it, plus VAT, plus wiring, plus roof covering, plus wall cladding, plus plus plus.

The company I have been talking to is called HEMSEC. When you can actually get to talk to someone, they are very good.

I took the forms down to the council offices and saw a lady from the planning dept. Other than the fact that she appeared to be the most careworn local authority worker ever, she was very helpful. She checked my drawings and they were not right. The dimensions did not match the scale. I'd done it in SU and it should have been right, but I'd tweaked a couple of bits and it had cocked things up. So I went hope and sorted that out - it was then right to the micrometre. She did comment that it was helpful to have a pic of the existing structure, the Design Statement (which, apparently, was not strictly necessary), and she noted that I was just replacing what was there already.

So now I just wait. It's simultanously very exciting and very daunting, pretty much in equal measure.

My mate Stuart has a Dunsterhouse workshop and is very happy with it. I also have a log cabin in the garden, and I think it is probably DH as well. It's good quality, just not big enough for a workshop.

S

Cheers guys, impretty familiar with council and regs etc as I have a carpentry/construction company. Don't worry I'll be saying its a garage which it will be... Just not most of it :p otherwise its a world of problems. I'll take a look at those sip buildings then. The idea I had was 1/3 brick work permiter built then timber frame there after (it has to match in with the style of the house) or possible block work and timber cladded. Could the sip panels be cladded in a traditional way. And are the load bearing? Since there will probable be a good few ton of tile up there unless I go for the cedar option. I'll try and keep an update on here anyway. Hope you get your panning permssion!

Odly enough we had that exact problem on a customer of ours which we did an extension for. They'd cut down a few large trees and bushes so when it came too panning permission there was all sorts of issues which wouldn't have been there if the trees had stayed... Just goes to show if you want planning plant some fast growing privets wait till there huge and then apply :p

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Back