Powering lathe from generator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrywat

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone power their lathe by means of a generator? Have just dismantled my workshop before it all gets moved to Spain and was wondering if anyone has any experience of running a lathe off a generator. My setup was a Union Graduate with a 1hp 230v 3phase motor running off a Mitsubishi inverter (like the Newton Tesla setup with variable speed controllerand the new place is too far from the mains to be an economic prospect to install, so power for the house will be supplied by a 4Kw solar/inverter rig with battery backup. I figure my machinery will probably be Ok when the sun is shining depending on the spec of the inverter, but for those rare days in Spain when the sun doesn't shine, is it possible to supply the lathe from a generator by way of it's own inverter? Or am I going to have to find a new hobby?

Generator is probably most reliable, especially if you can add a bit of extra weight as an in balance flywheel. I dislike the idea of an inverter feeding a 1 to 3 phase converter. But then I dislike switch mode power supplies. In my view such a configuration could be liable to fail if anything glitches.

Latest posts

Back