Power Take off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougT

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help? I am looking for a power take off for my extractor its the same as used on a shop vac. It will enable me to use my table saw and the extraction will come on at the same time

I wired a socket into my table saw that the extractor plugs into, if you do it the otherway round you may be pulling too big a load through the extractor, most of the ones with a power socket on them are designed for hand held powertools.

If you want to spend a lot more and have the facility of overrun then Axminster do several options that will work with one or multiple machines

Welcome to the forum.

Jason

axminster do something similar will start extractor on up to 3-4 machines, its around £160 ish tho

Looked at the Axminster control unit, it looks the biz but expensive. I will look at the wiring on the table saw tomorrow and try what jason suggested

Thanks

DougT

Hi Doug

Welcome to the forum.

The cheaper option might be to fit a remote control. IIRC, they're about twenty pounds from Maplins.

In fact, here is the link. It's four receivers and one transmitter.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks Neil

I think the remote will be OK for what I want
Thanks for the link

Doug

Remember that you will have to disable the no volt release switch if your extractor has one, and in the process you may be removing the overload protection that is required on certain motors.

Also be weary of those remote control switches. If your extractor is particularly powerful or has an induction motor, the start-up current may be enough to fry the circuity - they were after all mainly designed for table lamps and other small loads. Don't be duped by the '13A switching capacity' either. That figure is often for purely resistive loads with no start up surge.

BTW, I'm not trying to turn you off the idea :lol: I have heard that some forum members use this type of remote switch and it works fine, but it really isn't a good idea on larger motors.

The remote control unit I have came in a pack of three or four from B&Q. The sockets are rated to work with loads of up to 3kW, so fine for the workshop vac on its own but I wouldn't want to switch the saw (2 kW Triton) and the vac on the same switch just in case the start-up surge is too much.

Thanks George

Thats what I will do.
I think it will work fine with 3kw rating

Doug

Hi Doug
I bought a remote from Euro batteries and it has worked fine for well over 6 months now. The extractor is tucked away neatly in the corner of my workshop and ducted to all my machines and can be switched on from anywhere with the flick of a switch

Phil

My set is from Lidl, 4 3kW sockets and remote, (9.99). Been using for 2 year. The bit inside the controlled socket that does the actual switching is a small relay. The contacts on this will last best on resistive loads, like the workshop fan heater. A 3kW inductive load is really pushing it, so the dust collector starter is adapted so that the remote controlled socket only switches the starter pull in relay. Thus the starter still does the manful switching, and still provides overload protection.

Latest posts

Back