Power feed for Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate your views on whether a 3 wheel power feed or a 4 wheel power feed is best for a spindle moulder. The price difference between the two is eye watering. If anyone knows the pros and cons of each I would be really grateful. Equally, your experience of either.

Anyone ever used a Steff 2044, which is the one I'm considering as the 4 wheeler.

Ive got a stef 3 wheel 8 speed which works well.

I cant help you one whether a 3 or 4 wheel feeder is better -its something Ive often wondered myself, so Im hoping you may get some insightful answers!

Ive also wondered if the variable speed machine are worth buying. Most power feeders seem to have far too many fast speeds and not enough slow ones. Often the slowest speed is not slow enough for heavy cuts.

Great points, crossed fingers someone will be able to help us both.

I've always had or used a three wheeled power feed . I can't really see the point in four wheeled PF unless you are doing mass repetition work or feeding through panel material . Having used a power feed to do lots of way out mouldings from tiny to huge three wheels have done everything perfectly , not only that but by taking off the infeed and outfeed wheels , leaving the middle wheel it is perfect for curved work on a ring fence / bearing guide .
Regarding makes , Maggi , Wadkin and Dalton have surved me very well .
If you want to up the speeds , just swap over the cogs inside the main body .

Guggs

Any views on incline cutting, I.e, feeding in the same direction as the spindle is rotating? I believe its good for reducing tear out. I'm thinking of. 4 wheeler so that I can feed from either side. My spindle only has one direction of rotation so to include machine I will need to feed from the LHS and I think a 4 wheeler will allow me to do this?

Also is 4m / minute too fast, is 2 meter a minute a better speed? I also intend to swap it over to me table saw for big stuff as I am on my own and find feeding lengths of big stuff through it very hard work. I don't have a resaw....too little room, but I do dream!

Back cutting is a very very good method of cutting very neat rebates or mouldings .
You must observe the safety aspects when doing so , more common sense than anything .
You MUST use a power feed .
It works very well if you need to cut finished rebates not using a rebate block . ie Safety block with hss cutters in .
( rebate spurs leave a cut line , not good on finished work )
Also it comes into it's own if you need to do stopped work . Feed normally then back cut to machine the other hand .
When setting up the power feed make sure there is enough pressure and the machine bed is clean .
You may experience juddering when the timber is being fed .
Stop the feed and check the wheels and bed .
It is a safe method but needs respect .
Regarding 4 wheels for the method , again I've moulded miles of timber using a 3 wheeled powerfeed and never thought a fourth wheel would make any difference .

Regarding feed speeds , there are many theories on what is best but experience dictates whats best .
ie , material , depth of cut , number of pieces , is it the cut going to be seen etc .
Listen to the blade cutting , if it 'sounds' wrong then adjust .

Hope that helps !

Don't forget a powerfeed is not just designed for a spindle moulder !
If you have an old style over hand planer / thicknesser the power feed can be fitted to the bed . This works fantastic for surfacing materials .
Also the powerfeed can be bolted on the front of the spindle .
Then the main body can be fully rotated with the wheels facing the fences . Works brilliantly for tall mouldings ie skirting boards , wide cornice moulds and bookcase materials . This operation works just as well in the normal position .
The powerfeed really comes into it's own when back fence cutting !
Happy power feeding :)

Thanks Guggs.
I think Im going for the 4 wheel Steff, just can't make up my mind whether to go for the 4 or 8 speed. I can't solve in my own mind whether 4m/minute is too fast. Looking at different forums there seems to be a universal view that most power feeds don't have a slow enough speed, but I can find out what they recon is the lowest speed a PF should have. The 8 speed version runs down at 2m / minute.

The 4 wheeler is a beast! I'm going to have to fit extension arms I think onto the Spindle moulder. Another unexpected opportunity to be creative!

Regarding speed then I would go for an 8 speed .
If you are using an old heavyweight spindle like Wadkin , Dalton etc then a 4 speed will serve you very well if you are using a modern lightweight built spindle go with the 8 speed . Rule of thumb being the heavy machines can take more of a battering and produce a better finish but that's another subject .
Either way there is no right or wrong . Mainly a personal choice .
Good luck !

Back