Posted for Gilljc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
just helping out, resized and tweaked slightly and sharpened.

Theses are cuttings from Gilljc not me..

gilljc3.jpg
gilljc2.jpg
gilljc1.jpg

gilljc5.jpg
gilljc4.jpg

Attachments

• gilljc1.jpg
    gilljc1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 496
  • gilljc2.jpg
    gilljc2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 496
  • gilljc3.jpg
    gilljc3.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 496
  • gilljc4.jpg
    gilljc4.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 496
  • gilljc5.jpg
    gilljc5.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 496
Well if that is the standard we are going to be shown I for one hope Gilljc can get to grips with the image manipulation/uploading soon.

That is very impressive work. I look forward to your eventually taking us through the production of these projects step-by-step as a 'work in progress' thread, once you've got the hang of posting pictures.

Thank you very much, especially stevebuk :)
the aeroplane box is done with 3mm birch ply and mahogany from hobbies, double bevel inlay from a tutorial i found when googling, that explained about drilling entry holes at an angle so that they are in waste always, from a photo i found on the web, the very fine struts are a cheat - masking tape and drawn on in woodstain with a craft knife. is probably the hardest thing i've done yet - aeroplanes are not very forgiving :lol:
not much work this week due to snow and ice, so am trying compound cutting now........

That if beautiful work and a pleasure to see ,Thanks to you and Steve for showing. I doubt if I will ever be able to even contemplate work like that . But like Gill and probably many others I would love to see a WIP of it being done. Great work.

Very Impressive Gilljc. Regarding comments from CHJ, as I have not as yet posted any photos to the forum, would appreciate if CHJ would be more specific so the rest of us can get it right. Is it the fact the focus could be much better !, the photos could have been cropped ! What is image manipulation ! Surely the actual uploading is ok providing the pixels are within limits.
John

artanddecco":rmbesvz9 said:
Very Impressive Gilljc. Regarding comments from CHJ, as I have not as yet posted any photos to the forum, would appreciate if CHJ would be more specific so the rest of us can get it right. Is it the fact the focus could be much better !, the photos could have been cropped ! What is image manipulation ! Surely the actual uploading is ok providing the pixels are within limits.
John
Does not the image posting guide at the top of the forum section lay out the requirements?
What is changing pixel resolution if not image manipulation?

totally overwhelmed by response :eek:
still struggling to sort out posting pics, have taken them right down to hardly any pixels, but they are completely blurred, and stiil too big!
will be getting together with computer and photographic literate friend soon to see what i am doing wrong :roll:

not sure about wip as most of my things are experiments - you should see my designer kindling pile, just as well i have access to wood burning stove............

gilljc":konv18bk said:
still struggling to sort out posting pics, have taken them right down to hardly any pixels, but they are completely blurred, and stiil too big!........
What operating system do you have?
What program are you using to reduce you image size?

There are two things that affect file size:
1. Pixel resolution, the better your camera sensor and the better the file format chosen the bigger the initial file.
2. Image compression, file format chosen and compression ratio (image quality)

If you compress a file to reduce the file size you are doing one of two things or both.
1. Reducing the pixel count by removing some picture detail by taking out duplicate or similar adjacent pixels but maintaining as good a quality as possible. {You select the size you want and a high quality (90-100%)}
2. Reducing the pixel count by keeping the same size but deliberately reducing the image quality. {You select the quality you want (70-80%)}
3. Reducing the Required Image Size and selecting a Lower Quality (70-80%)

Unless you have a high end camera all the images will be stored in some form of compressed format such as JPG.
This means that the software that has saved them has made some assumptions on which detail it needs to record and which it can save file space by noting that the information (pixel) is just the same colour as those surrounding it.

Reducing an image and/or file size adds to the compression, taking out more of these 'similar pixels'
Every time you Re-Save a compressed image it will deteriorate in quality because the software keeps taking out what it sees as expendable pixels.

For best quality of a reduced file size image, you need to go from the original straight down to the final required size, that way you get a one time dumping of pixel information, retaining as much as possible of the original detail.

For instance, the camera I currently use is set to 3648 X 2736 pixels and JPG format, giving files in the order of 2MB each.
To save space on my server and to meet the UKW requirement of less than 256KB I reduce them to 1024 X 768 pixels with a quality setting of 80% and they normally end up anywhere between 60 and 180 KB dependant on detail. They are more than good enough quality for normal computer screen display.

Using GIMP:--
gimp1.jpg
gimp2.jpg
gimp3.jpg

Alternatley using Image Resizer:--
resizer1.jpg
resizer2.jpg

Attachments

• gimp1.jpg
    gimp1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 278
  • gimp2.jpg
    gimp2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 278
  • gimp3.jpg
    gimp3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 278
  • resizer1.jpg
    resizer1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 278
  • resizer2.jpg
    resizer2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 278
stevebuk":4ghj0gp1 said:
Fabulous Chas, well done you.. =D> =D>

Yes I would go along with everything CHJ. has written .Exactly as I would have explained it myself . 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back