Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gar a call from the shop this morning, someone asked if I was able to make a darning mushroom and if at all possible could they have it tomorrow so I spent around 3 hours in the makerspace and came up with this...
20231221_173449.jpg20231221_173457.jpg20231221_173511.jpg20231221_173633.jpg
used an old wooden children's skittle, pretty sure it's cherry, the handle had 2 hole from a staple so I made a few more, stuffed them with white paper towel and soaked in CA glue, a nice little detail. Made it in 2 parts so that I could include needle storage in the handle.

Gar a call from the shop this morning, someone asked if I was able to make a darning mushroom and if at all possible could they have it tomorrow so I spent around 3 hours in the makerspace and came up with this...
... ...
used an old wooden children's skittle, pretty sure it's cherry, the handle had 2 hole from a staple so I made a few more, stuffed them with white paper towel and soaked in CA glue, a nice little detail. Made it in 2 parts so that I could include needle storage in the handle.
you are one talented man!

View attachment 172353View attachment 172354View attachment 172355View attachment 172356
Nice

A lesson in preparation!
I decided to knock out some stocking fillers and thought I'd have a go at four penguins. As ever, it was a last minute idea and I didn't give any time to the development of the idea - I just went for it.

View attachment 172249

The only thing I'm happy with is the scarf joint between the steamed tulipwood and ash blanks.
Things to do differently next time:
1. turn the ash blank through 90 degrees to improve the visible grain pattern
2. the shape is terrible and I think I know how to improve it - but I must try a practice or several to finalise the shape
3. the pin-head eyes need sinking into the much more than I've done here

Ah well, next time...
Season's best to all
Quiet like the up and down pattern of the ash

View attachment 172353View attachment 172354View attachment 172355View attachment 172356
Nice touch including the storage place.
3 hours - how much did they pay for it?

Nice touch including the storage place.
3 hours - how much did they pay for it?
On Etsy the nice ones ranged between 30 and 50 without needle storage so had planned to charge £45 but when I got to the shop I found out that its for a little old lady who spends all day every day out in the shopping centre raising money for a dog rescue centre, she spends all her spare time making stuff to sell while she is at the centre and doesn't buy herself anything nice so I gave it as a gift.
The girls running the shop are gonna show it to other crafters they know who they think will probably want one 😁

On Etsy the nice ones ranged between 30 and 50 without needle storage so had planned to charge £45 but when I got to the shop I found out that its for a little old lady who spends all day every day out in the shopping centre raising money for a dog rescue centre, she spends all her spare time making stuff to sell while she is at the centre and doesn't buy herself anything nice so I gave it as a gift.
The girls running the shop are gonna show it to other crafters they know who they think will probably want one 😁
Nice one Stigmorgan 👍

So that's a 'darning mushroom'. I came across one when clearing out my late parents house and had no idea what it was. It was probably my grandmother's. While I had no idea what it was I didn't chuck it out, simply because it was nicely made.

So that's a 'darning mushroom'. I came across one when clearing out my late parents house and had no idea what it was. It was probably my grandmother's. While I had no idea what it was I didn't chuck it out, simply because it was nicely made.
Used for repairing socks and things

Christmas presents part 1 snow couple, spalted bowl, a pair of vases and all from cypress and a poppy tree in a two tone onion vase from spalted beech and walnut for the vase seringa for the branch, and cypress for the flowers. As I can only be allowed 10 photos part 2 to follow20231224_194348.jpg20231224_194649.jpg20231224_193825.jpg20231224_193729.jpg20231224_193505.jpg20231224_194054.jpg20231224_193610.jpg20231224_194159.jpg20231224_133119.jpg

Attachments

• 20231224_194159.jpg
    20231224_194159.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 0
Went to go and clean up in the work shop today after the hectic rush to make the crimbo gifts started out well putting away all the bibs and bobs I'd been using. Until I moved the red cedar, then a little voice said the second large piece would be idea for testing the new legs on my lathe for outboard turning. Now I've got even more mess to clean up. But couldn't be more happy with the stability of the lathe. Ended up with my largest bowl todate. Looking at the inside reminds me of a face of a sloth what do you think!20231229_181229.jpg20231229_181337.jpg20231229_181424.jpg20231229_181509.jpg20231229_181640.jpg

Back