Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love turning platters. They allow the grain and figure in a nice piece of wood to really show off. From left to right: 15" Sycamore Maple ( a Maple whose leaf closely mimics the Sycamore/London Plane) Next, a 15" Great Basin Poplar ( also called Mormon Polar) And lastly, 20" Texas Cedar Elm. ( Also known as Rock Elm) This one was particularly challenging as part of it was vey spalted and almost punky soft. The rest of it was truly "rock" Elm...HARD...very hard wood.

Attachments

• 15%22 Syc Maple Platter 6.jpeg
    15%22 Syc Maple Platter 6.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
  • GB Polar 3.jpeg
    GB Polar 3.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0
  • GB Poplar 2.jpeg
    GB Poplar 2.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Cedar Elm Platter 1.jpeg
    Cedar Elm Platter 1.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Cedar Elm Platter 2.jpeg
    Cedar Elm Platter 2.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 0
  • Cedar Elm Platter Back.jpeg
    Cedar Elm Platter Back.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 0
  • Cedar Elm Platter Edge View.jpeg
    Cedar Elm Platter Edge View.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 15%22 Syc Maple Platter 2.jpeg
    15%22 Syc Maple Platter 2.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
I love turning platters. They allow the grain and figure in a nice piece of wood to really show off. From left to right: 15" Sycamore Maple ( a Maple whose leaf closely mimics the Sycamore/London Plane) Next, a 15" Great Basin Poplar ( also called Mormon Polar) And lastly, 20" Texas Cedar Elm. ( Also known as Rock Elm) This one was particularly challenging as part of it was vey spalted and almost punky soft. The rest of it was truly "rock" Elm...HARD...very hard wood.
Stunning wood and very envious of the view behind in the first pic 😍

Thanks, Stig.
I really struggled with it, particularly with the bowl interior. I couldn’t quite get rid of a little ‘pimple’ at the bottom of the bowl. I think I've learned from doing it, and hope to make a better one next time.
D.

Thanks, Stig.
I really struggled with it, particularly with the bowl interior. I couldn’t quite get rid of a little ‘pimple’ at the bottom of the bowl. I think I've learned from doing it, and hope to make a better one next time.
D.
The centre point can be a pain, especially in narrow cups like yours, a round nose scraper and a light touch is a good tool to get a more even finish

I easily remove my bowl nibs by using a small piece of low grit paper 40/60. If you don't want to risk your fingers in a goblet, then just glue a piece of 40/60 to a piece of sponge/foam on the end of a wooden stick.

So this one is a bit of a story, in response to another thread by @Jbonevia I offered to turn a lignum vitae bowls ball into a mallet head for him, I recieved it a few days later and the next day I mounted it between centres, there was a sizeable crack but I didn't think it would be a problem, until I almost had it rounded off and I had a catch in the crack that pulled a lump of wood off, by the time I had cleaned it up and stopped swearing 🤬 there wasn't enough left to make a mallet head, luckily I found a replacement on the bay of evil and it arrived next day and I got it shaped and drilled ready to package up and send to Jbonevia on monday afternoon.
Today whilst at work I had an idea for the remains of the original ball and got started on once work was done,
20240404_162926.jpg20240404_162934.jpg20240404_162938.jpg20240404_162955.jpg20240405_215144.jpg20240405_215147.jpg20240405_215151.jpg20240405_215153.jpg20240405_215156.jpg
I now have a cute little lignum hammer with cherry handle and iroko spike, the handle/spike is slightly off centre but it's not too bad considering I had to drill it freehand, burnt the drill bit out though.

So this one is a bit of a story, in response to another thread by @Jbonevia I offered to turn a lignum vitae bowls ball into a mallet head for him, I recieved it a few days later and the next day I mounted it between centres, there was a sizeable crack but I didn't think it would be a problem, until I almost had it rounded off and I had a catch in the crack that pulled a lump of wood off, by the time I had cleaned it up and stopped swearing 🤬 there wasn't enough left to make a mallet head, luckily I found a replacement on the bay of evil and it arrived next day and I got it shaped and drilled ready to package up and send to Jbonevia on monday afternoon.
Today whilst at work I had an idea for the remains of the original ball and got started on once work was done,
View attachment 178880View attachment 178881View attachment 178882View attachment 178883View attachment 178884View attachment 178885View attachment 178886View attachment 178887View attachment 178888
I now have a cute little lignum hammer with cherry handle and iroko spike, the handle/spike is slightly off centre but it's not too bad considering I had to drill it freehand, burnt the drill bit out though.
A cool little number

Today's turning is a live edge Ash bowl, unfortunately I didn't notice until I was finished but there is a crack in the base that may open up if it moves, love turning this Ash, the chatoyance, rippling and colour is amazing and I'm surprised at how dry it is considering the tree was only felled January last year, the shavings are crispy dry. To remove the tenon I needed a big jam chuck so decided to use a willow blank and then made a start at another bowl, I've hear a huge number of people say that willow is boring, the shades of blue are amazing.20240406_184415.jpg20240406_184424.jpg20240406_184429.jpg20240406_184434.jpg20240406_184443.jpg20240406_184457.jpg

20240406_190036.jpg20240406_190102.jpg20240406_190106.jpg
Going to be doing quite a few Ash and Birch bowls in the coming weeks, not long to go until the 2 day event at Merrist Wood in May.

Today's turning is a live edge Ash bowl, unfortunately I didn't notice until I was finished but there is a crack in the base that may open up if it moves, love turning this Ash, the chatoyance, rippling and colour is amazing and I'm surprised at how dry it is considering the tree was only felled January last year, the shavings are crispy dry. To remove the tenon I needed a big jam chuck so decided to use a willow blank and then made a start at another bowl, I've hear a huge number of people say that willow is boring, the shades of blue are amazing.View attachment 178921View attachment 178922View attachment 178923View attachment 178924View attachment 178925View attachment 178926

View attachment 178927View attachment 178928View attachment 178929
Going to be doing quite a few Ash and Birch bowls in the coming weeks, not long to go until the 2 day event at Merrist Wood in May.
Love the grain patterns do you use anything to stabilize the bark or just sanding sealant then finish ?

Today's turning is a live edge Ash bowl, unfortunately I didn't notice until I was finished but there is a crack in the base that may open up if it moves, love turning this Ash, the chatoyance, rippling and colour is amazing and I'm surprised at how dry it is considering the tree was only felled January last year, the shavings are crispy dry. To remove the tenon I needed a big jam chuck so decided to use a willow blank and then made a start at another bowl, I've hear a huge number of people say that willow is boring, the shades of blue are amazing.View attachment 178921View attachment 178922View attachment 178923View attachment 178924View attachment 178925View attachment 178926

View attachment 178927View attachment 178928View attachment 178929
Lovely job, Stig.

A few weeks ago I rough turned a live edge Ash bowl too, it's been sat in a bucket of shavings since then. I checked the moisture content this morning, it's still around the 20% region. I'm getting a bit impatient 🙃

Love the grain patterns do you use anything to stabilize the bark or just sanding sealant then finish ?
Depends on how tight the bark is fixed to the wood and when it was cut, if it was winter cut then chances are the bark will stay put so don't do anything with it, if it's loose or was summer cut then there's a good chance it will fall off so I'll saturate it with CA before sanding. All the Ash I have was cut in January 2023 so should stay put.

Lovely job, Stig.

A few weeks ago I rough turned a live edge Ash bowl too, it's been sat in a bucket of shavings since then. I checked the moisture content this morning, it's still around the 20% region. I'm getting a bit impatient 🙃
I have no idea what the moisture content is on my stuff, I've not got round d to buying a meter yet. At 20% you could finish it in the microwave for a few minutes at a time or in the oven at 100 degrees and check on it every 20 minutes or so

Back