Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another productive day today, 2 Ash bowls and a small birch lidded box which is from 2 small offcuts that were still a little damp so it may move more than I want it to. The shallow Ash bowl was from a crotch piece and has a gorgeous bit of feathering/flame in it
View attachment 177970View attachment 177971View attachment 177972View attachment 177973View attachment 177974View attachment 177975View attachment 177976View attachment 177977View attachment 177978View attachment 177979
Cracking little bowl

Tenerife and sunflowers PT 3
Well folks thats it, this project is finished. Standing 59cm tall and 22 cm across made from oak for the base, lumbo and ash for the petals, meranti for the centre and I dont know the wood for the stem possibly irocco. One of three tatty bits lying on the off cut shelf. Sanded to 400 grit. Tung oil finished. For the name I borrowed a mates burner pen so now my wish list got a wee big bigger as my soldering iron just don't cut it for me anymore.
20240325_135225.jpg
20240325_135244.jpg
20240325_135328.jpg

Tenerife and sunflowers PT 3
Well folks thats it, this project is finished. Standing 59cm tall and 22 cm across made from oak for the base, lumbo and ash for the petals, meranti for the centre and I dont know the wood for the stem possibly irocco. One of three tatty bits lying on the off cut shelf. Sanded to 400 grit. Tung oil finished. For the name I borrowed a mates burner pen so now my wish list got a wee big bigger as my soldering iron just don't cut it for me anymore.View attachment 178115View attachment 178116View attachment 178117
Now that's stunning 😍

So this is my 2nd attempt at CrushGrind Mills, I've gone for a more contemporary design, and believe using segmenting accentuates the design....
The two mills use the following woods (NO BROWN IVORY!!) :

Pepper: Black Walnut, Jatoba & Beech
Salt: Tulip, Beech & Cherry

Padster

Attachments

• IMG_3575.jpeg
    IMG_3575.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Gorgeous gorgeous and gorgeous Did you use a transparent epoxy with blue dye added and did you use wood or metal for the top thanks in advance Tim.
Pat -
First, THANK YOU...😁. This has 4 "layered and sanded" applications of a spirit based dye. ( denatured alcohol in the U.S. - methylate spirits in the U.K.😊) Each color was applied lightly, then after drying for approx. 1 hour, sanded removing approx.50% of the color in random areas. Each successive application was a blend of differing ratios of a deep blue, and a bright green. Then the next application, etc. Sanding was done with 600 grit paper and a random orbital air powered sander. ( It is my new favorite for 2 and 3" sanding discs - using only 3 com of air! so a small compressor can run it fine. www.woodturnerswonders.com ). The sanding sealer, and finally application of Odie's Oil, and buff.

Can't tell you anything about this wood - found it under one of my bench's and decided I wanted bruised fingers so turned it square and bashed my fingers a few times as usual, decided not to leave the edge totally square as I like the way the sides developed into nice almost semi-circles anyway here it is...

Padster

Attachments

• IMG_3583.jpeg
    IMG_3583.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3584.jpeg
    IMG_3584.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3585.jpeg
    IMG_3585.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Can't tell you anything about this wood - found it under one of my bench's and decided I wanted bruised fingers so turned it square and bashed my fingers a few times as usual, decided not to leave the edge totally square as I like the way the sides developed into nice almost semi-circles anyway here it is...

Padster
Really attractive. I like the shape. I think the wood is a Mahogany relative. So many one with so many names, I can't be sure but that would be my guess.

Really attractive. I like the shape. I think the wood is a Mahogany relative. So many one with so many names, I can't be sure but that would be my guess.
Thanks, I can’t disagree the colour and grain are of that ilk

Rough turned some green ash last weekend, and made a new mallet from an offcut of an old oak beam.

Haven't been on the lathe for a while, took a bit to get back into it, but now avoiding the list of jobs I have in favour of turning things I don't need.

Attachments

• IMG_20240330_194721.jpg
    IMG_20240330_194721.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240330_194725.jpg
    IMG_20240330_194725.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back